Tell me about your maine coons

(69 Posts)
NantucketNightbird Sat 13-Feb-16 12:10:05

So I'm getting a maine coon girl in 11wks (only a week old). I have 3 cats already who are very spoilt but the local rescue won't consider us.
Photos would be good smile

Run247 Sat 13-Feb-16 12:18:03

The local rescue won't consider you- why?

NantucketNightbird Sat 13-Feb-16 12:28:59

3 cats, house rabbit and 4 children.

4yoniD Sat 13-Feb-16 12:37:34

don't think mine is entirely typical of a MC, although she is pure bred....

NantucketNightbird Sat 13-Feb-16 12:39:04

She is beautiful, what a face smile

4yoniD Sat 13-Feb-16 12:56:27

be prepared for some funny sounding miaows - Maine Coons don't sound quite like other cats! Also the fact that they keep growing for years suprised me...

StillMedusa Sun 14-Feb-16 00:59:35

Obie (Oberon) is the (HUGE) ginger lump and Ophie (Ophelia) is the brown girly.
He's a teenage asshole grin who sneaks into the neighbours' beds, eats their food and is generally bad. She's a little sweetheart who follows us round and chats constantly. She has a grump face but is such a sweet cat. They are 18m old.

I also had Morphy... died of Cancer in 2014. He was the love of my life, a 23 pound MC boy who loved me more than anyone else ever will. He was the best cat, slept every night with his paws around my neck and I will miss him til the day I die..brown and cream.

MC are fabulous cats smile

VertigoNun Sun 14-Feb-16 01:04:52

We had a mix of Mine coon and forrest cat, the nicest cat I ever had.

Tiggeryoubastard Sun 14-Feb-16 01:10:12

My next door neighbours have one. He's very intelligent (when it suits), he's extremely vocal, and treats my house as an extension of his own and us as extra staff (OK, we are kitty people), but he's very very affectionate. I would say enjoy the ride.

HemanOrSheRa Sun 14-Feb-16 01:17:25

Well, I was just coming here to place mark and enjoy the gorgeous photos. Oh my word Medusa! What gorgeous cats! Is Obie really as big as he looks in the photo?
I'm sorry for your loss of your Morphy sad. It's hard when you lose a beloved pet, I know flowers.

crazycatguy Sun 14-Feb-16 01:27:31

I'm yet to hear any negatives of MC, and I deal with cats a lot! They're loving, intelligent and chatty - exactly what you want in a cat!

We fostered a part MC cat for a while and I became his best mate v quickly! I'm a little jealous of you in a nice way smile

FedUpWithJudgementalPeople Sun 14-Feb-16 01:34:37

Ophie is beautiful - what an expressive face.

NantucketNightbird Sun 14-Feb-16 04:16:58

Wow how beautiful medusa smile. What's the length difference between the two? He is magnificent.

ophiotaurus Sun 14-Feb-16 04:39:18

This is my lovely MC boy. He's a wonderful cat. Very affectionate. Also very chilled out around my two DCs. He keeps me company during the day and has the best personality!

ophiotaurus Sun 14-Feb-16 04:43:33

Another pic where you can see his massive tail!

ophiotaurus Sun 14-Feb-16 04:44:13

He's just over a year old.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 14-Feb-16 05:11:47

I loved my MC, Talitha. She passed away just before I moved to Canada. Most affectionate cat I had, by far.
Disappointed to find that DH has updated iPhoto and my cat pics have vanished!

NantucketNightbird Sun 14-Feb-16 11:48:27

He is a very handsome boy ophiotaurus. I'm unsure what colour my girl will end up I have some photos I've been sent but the breeder has said it may change as her cats have a silver under tone. But she looks a combination of ginger/brown/white.

yearofthehorse Sun 14-Feb-16 12:00:11

My beautiful boy is 18 now. We got him as a 3 year old rescue and he was magnificent. When youngest DC was born he screamed night and day. At 3 months I couldn't stand it any longer and put him downstairs in the buggy. When he stopped crying I had to go downstairs and check on him - only to find MC sitting in with him, purring his head off and DC asleep. DC turned out to be ASD and MC has been his faithful companion ever since.

He is now deaf as post, thin as a rake and fairly incontinent but I know we are living on borrowed time and make the most of every day.

NantucketNightbird Sun 14-Feb-16 12:12:04

He sounds lovely year smile. I had a cat who was our other cats kitten so we had him from day one he was the softest ginger tom I even gave ds1 his name as a middle name. He lived until 20 and died curled up in his basket. I always stuck to female cats afterwards but last summer I took in a one year old ginger tom who was no longer wanted. He is nothing like ziggy but he definitely helped me move on.

cozietoesie Sun 14-Feb-16 12:53:58

Just saying. grin

NantucketNightbird Sun 14-Feb-16 13:05:21

?

cozietoesie Sun 14-Feb-16 13:17:18

(I've been predicting since his early kittenhood that Obie would make 25lb when full grown but Medusa has been in denial about that. I was just teasing her. grin)

Branleuse Sun 14-Feb-16 13:59:31

id be worried theyd fill up the litter tray in one go

cozietoesie Sun 14-Feb-16 14:06:52

You'd certainly need a large tray for one of the big ones! (And a sympathetic bank with regard to the food bill. smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now