Update on sportcat and question about litter...

(10 Posts)
sportinguista Fri 12-Feb-16 13:52:42

Some may remember us posting about the cute little feral kitten we adopted, well she's now 7 months and a lovely little thing, well not so little. She's very social and has settled well and is now totally tame so all well and good!

I have been using the cheap litter but ran out last week unexpectedly and the tesco over the road only had the expensive catsan so had to get that. I've noticed that it seems to last a lot longer. So is it a false economy to buy the cheap stuff (fwiw the cat is not bothered either way)?

What are the best and longest lasting cat litters?

We will be letting her outdoors soon as she is going to be spayed next week but will still keep a litter tray for night as don't want a catflap as too many ferals around here including the cats parents!

sportinguista Fri 12-Feb-16 13:54:36

This is a pic now for those who remember!

StopLaughingDrRoss Fri 12-Feb-16 14:34:03

Aw - she's gorgeous! I have only ever really used the wood chip pellet type litter which is pretty cheap, available at most decent supermarkets but lasts ages. When they wee, it breaks down to a sort of sawdust so you can easily see when it needs changing which isnt that often ime... when they poo, another story as whilst they can bury it, it pretty much stays there but I think poo needs removing asap anyway really as I wouldn't want to go in a dirty toilet.

Not sure if that's any help but if she's not fussy, perhaps try a few out until you find one which is good for both puss and pocket smile

sportinguista Fri 12-Feb-16 17:40:59

Have you ever tried the crystal ones? I saw that in Wilko, it looked odd though and I thought she might draw the line at that. I saw the wood pellet as well and that appeals as it's eco friendly.

She is lovely although she's getting very teenaged and frisky so we made an appointment to get her spayed and microchipped on Wednesday so hopefully she'll soon be able to go outside. At the moment she's drolling and purring on my lap!

I'll just try a few and see what happens, hopefully she won't need to use as often as I can just bin if she goes in the garden.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 12-Feb-16 21:00:44

She's gorgeous!

Harry has been a semi indoor cat for the last month while he recovers from an operation. As we've always kept him in at night he's had a litter tray in the bathroom and it's obviously been used more recently. I tried switching to a cheaper litter but I do think Catsan is better and we've gone back to it. I bought a bag of the crystal stuff today so I'll be trying that. He's having another op in a couple of weeks and will have to stay in for a few days so I'll give it a go then and report back.

StopLaughingDrRoss Fri 12-Feb-16 21:21:11

My current boy came to my house with the crystal stuff and when we used what was left (before I 'forced' him onto woodchip) was very good actually. .. clumped really well. I was just told it was expensive so went with what I already had in the house.

If she isn't that bothered, gives you the chance to try lots though - some can be right fussy so and so's and once you find something that suits, you're stuck with it!

OTheHugeManatee Fri 12-Feb-16 21:29:30

Nothing to add about litter but your sport at is the spit of our formerly feral girlcat grin

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Fri 12-Feb-16 21:31:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sportinguista Sat 13-Feb-16 06:59:01

manatee she's beautiful and very like Mystique! The blue cats are very pretty.

I terms of litter I think I'll try a few, I was impressed by the catsan as it has seemed to go further and makes less mess. The cheap ones seem to make a lot of dust which this doesn't. We might have a go with the crystals when she goes out and maybe doesn't need as much.

She is a great little cat though and we're very glad we rescued that tiny kitten. It feels like she's always been here.

FannyFifer Sat 13-Feb-16 07:12:58

Felight is the best one I have found.
We have a house cat so litter tray well used & need the freshest one possible.
I order it on Amazon, usually cheaper than in shops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now