Cats driving me round the bend

(5 Posts)
SomewhereInbetween Sun 31-Jan-16 15:51:48

To cut a long story short I have two cats, one at 5 and male (neutered) and a 6 month old female (going to be spayed v. soon), two dc and currently pg with #3 (only few weeks along).

Recently one or both of them have started peeing and pooping in the dc's bedrooms, very frequently on ds bed. I'm having to shampoo the carpets daily and wash bedding, including duvet and pillows daily. Took them to the vets to get checked out in case of diabetes/urine infections etc but they're both in perfect health, the only thing the vet suggested was cleaning out the litter trays (three of them, one in kitchen, bathroom and hall) more frequently but I clean them out every time I notice they've used them so quite a few times a day anyway, plus the litter trays get washed regularly.

It's really driving me round the bend because the house constantly smells of either cat mess or disinfectant and I'm at my wits end on how to handle this. There was never an issue before this, they are both properly litter trained and I'm pretty sure I've enough litter trays if they don't want to share. They won't go outside so that doesn't even help.

Feeling like my only option is to rehome them if this continues, I'm not willing to bring a baby into a house that's constantly got cat pee and poop in the bedrooms and I'm pretty sure that even with shampooing the carpet there's still bacteria left over and it's making me paranoid that it's what's causing my dc to be so sick lately.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make them stop I would be greatly appreciate it, and if not then how would I go about rehoming them? I don't want to advertise them on gumtree or other pet sites because I don't drive to be able to do home checks and deliver and don't like the thought of them going to a shelter and being stuck in a cage til they find new homes.

Plus I do love them to bits, would break mine and dc's hearts to see them go but I really can't stand any more of them using the house as a toilet.

Sorry it's so long, thanks for reading.

iloveeverykindofcat Sun 31-Jan-16 16:57:45

Have you tried a plug in like Feliway? They release scent markers (undetectable to humans) that make cats feel reassured and can deter a lot of unwanted behaviours.

TheFutureMrsB Sun 31-Jan-16 17:01:49

Can you shut them out of the bedrooms for the time being?

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 31-Jan-16 17:07:31

I was going to ask what you were cleaning the mess up with. Biological detergent is supposed to break down the scent of urine so the cat doesn't revisit it - disinfectant helps for our noses but cats have a better sense of smell.

I feel your pain though - it's hard enough cleaning up after two small children without cats adding to it. Hopefully, a combination of Feliway, limiting access and using bio detergent where soiling has happened can do the trick.

SomewhereInbetween Sun 31-Jan-16 18:00:47

Thanks for the replies, I've not even thought about feliway so might give that a try, thanks smile Keeping them shut out the rooms are tricky because my dc are constantly in and out of them and it seems like it doesn't matter how much you tell them to keep the doors closed they don't remember.

I'm cleaning it with odour removing carpet shampoo atm, have tried white vinegar which is supposed to get rid of the smell for cats too but the house ended up stinking of that instead which was making me feel even sicker, have also tried the cat odour remover from the pets at home shop (can't remember what it's called atm) but that didn't seem to deter them and I've tried bio detergent as well to no avail. Would have sprayed the places with lavender/pepper etc but that's supposed to hurt their noses and eyes and is apparently harmful (don't hold me to that though, think it was wiki that said it) and I didn't want to be that cruel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now