Feeding hungry kitten

(11 Posts)
zalana Tue 26-Jan-16 18:31:43

I have a new kitten 4 months old now, she is always hungry!I'm feeding her both dry and wet, I give her wet food 4 times a day and dry food in between;she eats all of it, should I increase the amount I give her?she was on the small size when we got her but has put weight on, I don't want to over feed her!(She has been wormed and gets loads of attention)

cozietoesie Tue 26-Jan-16 18:35:26

How much are you actually giving her and what brand is it?

zalana Tue 26-Jan-16 21:37:06

The person I got her from told me to give her 1 sachet a day, am using Lily's kitchen and Royal Canin dry food in between, is that too little? Thx

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:52:48

I just fed mine when he was a kitten, he was eating 400g of wet every day.

He'd go through chunky phases and gangly phases.

cozietoesie Tue 26-Jan-16 23:05:21

If you're splitting a pouch into four portions - and depending on how much dried she's getting- it doesn't sound like a whole load for a growing youngster. Have you weighed her?

emwithme Tue 26-Jan-16 23:17:45

The little furry asshats kittens here are now 6 months old, we've had them since 10 weeks or so. They are free-fed Royal Canin Kitten dry (one of the shallow Mason Cash bowls is down all the time, they get through about a bowl and a half a day - more when they're having a growth spurt) and have a pouch of wet (currently Whiskas kitten) between the two of them twice a day (so a pouch each). They seem to be growing like weeds, BoyKitten is just over 3 kg, and GirlKitten around 2.75 kg.

When we first got them, they had a pouch four times a day, but there was so much waste we cut down to three and now two, and it's mostly eaten (and they go through the dry at a reasonable rate).

zalana Tue 26-Jan-16 23:18:07

Last week she was.8kg so is very small, yes I think you are right she probably needs more,thanks.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-Jan-16 06:52:14

800g at four months? Just feed her what she wants.

cozietoesie Wed 27-Jan-16 18:42:43

Have you tried her with more nosh?

zalana Wed 27-Jan-16 22:56:03

Yes, today I gave her more food than I had been giving her each time I fed her, she ate it all first thing in the morning, the next two times,she left some in her bowl returning to it later,so it was interesting to see how she can self regulate herself.I will carry on giving her more food,thanks for the advise!

cozietoesie Thu 28-Jan-16 08:37:55

Sounds good. smile

They're often little eating machines at that age so it's as well not to be too tough on amounts. It's not impossible to over feed a kitten - they don't all self-regulate all of the time - but you would probably have to really work at it. Keep her to regular food (no table scraps) and keep a weather eye on her weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now