Help our cat keeps pooing on my bed

(16 Posts)
Doinmummy Thu 21-Jan-16 23:54:08

We moved house 2 months ago. All has been fine - we have never had a cat flap we let her in and out as she demands. Yesterday she wee'd on my bed. It went through everything , so I bought a new duvet, washed all the covers etc. I was sitting downstairs this evening , we went through the maddening ritual of me walking her to her food bowl as usual then walking her to the back door to let her out but she wouldn't go, so back down I sat.

An awful stink arose and she'd gone upstairs and poo'd on my bed! Brand new duvet, clean duvet cover .

Why is she suddenly doing this ?

KarenLong Thu 21-Jan-16 23:55:59

I stopped our kitten doing this by spreading tin foil over the bed as soon as I got up in the morning, and leaving it there all day. Lots of that spray that discourages soiling, and a wide choice of litter trays in other places.

nipersvest Thu 21-Jan-16 23:57:56

confused by the move maybe?, i'd make sure the bedroom door is kept shut so she can't get in, you could resort to a litter tray to get her to relate that to being the toilet rather than the bed.

Doinmummy Fri 22-Jan-16 00:05:17

She's been so good up til now. I thought she coped with moving really well. She just fell into her normal routine of asking to go out if she needed the loo.

It's getting really difficult to get her to go outside, she'll go to the door and when I open it she darts off and hides behind the sofa. If I try and pick her up she bites and scratches.

I will try the tin foil and put the litter tray in the kitchen. We used the litter tray while we kept her in after the move and she used it fine. She didn't have a litter ray in our old house.

Youfromthefuture Fri 22-Jan-16 00:12:18

Sounds like something might have happened outside to make her not want to go out. Are there any other cats in the area that she may have fought with?

Doinmummy Fri 22-Jan-16 00:18:53

There are other cats around but she doesn't look like she's been fighting . She used to get picked on by a cat at our old house and was still happy to go outside.
I will have to be more vigilant when she's indoors and make sure she doesn't sneak upstairs.

Doinmummy Fri 22-Jan-16 00:42:35

I can't even get her to go into the conservatory- I'm tired, I've done a 13 hour shift and want to go to bed !! If I leave her indoors she comes and wakes me up in the middle of the night waaaaaah!

Doinmummy Fri 22-Jan-16 01:28:24

Oh for christs sake ! I've finally got her into the conservatory, gone to get into bed and it's soaking wet- she's wee'd all over it. I'm on the sofa tonight.

toopeoply Fri 22-Jan-16 03:27:27

Why don't you shut your bedroom door? Limit her to one room downstairs?

RoastChickenDinner Fri 22-Jan-16 06:23:25

It sounds like she is is either poorly or something is scaring her outside. Apparently exactly this happened to PreciousPussGirl in her previous home and was the reason age was rehomed -yay!-.

I'm sure though if you compromise with a tray and keep the door shut she'll be fine.

PreciousPussGirl uses her tray here without a problem and although she goes out, she prefers to toilet inside.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 22-Jan-16 06:45:20

Shut the bloody door! confused

Heirhelp Fri 22-Jan-16 06:48:52

Shut your bedroom door so she can't get in. Get two litter trays for her and a feliway plug in and if things don't improve after a week take him to the vets.

Doinmummy Fri 22-Jan-16 16:53:29

Bedroom door now shut !! I thought it was a one off as she hasn't been like this before.
Litter tray is in place and will get cat calming stuff. We're open plan downstairs so it's harder to contain her.

Heirhelp Fri 22-Jan-16 19:42:03

Cats often return to the same place to toilet. Does your cat have privacy to use the litter tray. My boy is very particular about the litter tray , he will only use it if it is completely clean.

CatWithARabbit Wed 27-Jan-16 15:34:21

Sounds like she is really stressed. Feliway is brilliant, £30 ! but worth it. Good luck!

AnotherEmma Wed 27-Jan-16 15:38:44

It's not hard, is it?!
Keep the bedroom door closed
Provide a clean litter tray
And, if possible, install a cat flap so she can go in and out when she wants to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now