What's the best thing to do when my cats are fighting?

(11 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Fri 15-Jan-16 19:46:15

They are thought to be half siblings and are a boy and a girl. They were rescue and have been with us for nearly three years. The boy is six months older.

The boy just beat her up three times as she tried to hide. I intervened and told him he was naughty and put him out. It sounds so brutal. She always seems to back off and I don't think I've ever seen her do more than slap him. They also kiss each other when they have been apart.

They have been done, have free rein to come and go, have a great life and are utterly spoilt. Their toy box may be rather large and full blushgrin.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jan-16 19:53:28

Does he ever use claws/teeth or is it all biffing?

Goingtobeawesome Fri 15-Jan-16 19:56:01

He just seems to jump on her.

Girlfriend36 Fri 15-Jan-16 19:56:23

I have a boy and girl cat and they do fight most days as well as chase each other round the flat. I think for the boy cat its a dominance thing, I only intervene if one of them squeaks!

Girlfriend36 Fri 15-Jan-16 19:57:19

I wonder if girl cats still secrete some hormones even when they have been spayed?? They seem to go through phases where its worse than others...

iklboo Fri 15-Jan-16 20:04:26

We clap loudly & make hissing / 'tss tss tss' noises when ours kick off. It stops scraps between them.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jan-16 20:05:05

It sounds like kitten play-fighting writ large. Proper cat fights are a bit like those cartoon fights - which someone may have a cartoon of - all whirligigs with 'Kerpow! and 'Crash!' coming out. Noisy events.

I'd be inclined to be sure she has a safe high place and play with him more to distract him. What games does he have at the moment?

Hassled Fri 15-Jan-16 20:08:30

I shout "PLAY NICE" at mine, and it does bugger all. I think they're play-fighting, in that they both have ample opportunity to run away, but it's hard to tell. Yesterday morning the Psycho Cat caused the Miserable Cat to run up and over DS2, who was sat on the sofa with a cup of tea in one hand and a bowl of cereal in the other. It was messy.

bloodyteenagers Fri 15-Jan-16 20:15:35

Tried stopping mine. They both ganged up on my feet.
I've watched them since. They are both as guilty. They both pounce on each other. They both wind each other when trying to have a poo. Both slap each other when the other is sleeping. Both kick each other.. List is endless.
But at the end of the day when they finally chill the fuck down, they curl up and cuddle each other..

I just think it's what they do. Just like siblings in general, always winding
Each other up.

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Jan-16 20:17:47

I had a mother and son who play fought. Our young sisters chase each other, pounce and bite. But not hard.
Proper cat fights result in blood drawn. Claws rake and teeth puncture.
Play fights are 90% twitching tails, batting and chasing.

Goingtobeawesome Fri 15-Jan-16 20:21:36

It sounds so violent. She has bitten or clawed him once and we had to take him to the vet. He was not impressed. I just don't want them hurt as they will be so stressed by the car ride.

There are plenty of places to hide.

I expect he'll be back soon with a mouse. Just to register his annoyance at me for shutting him out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now