Cat meowing outside our flat, any advice greatly appreciated

(7 Posts)
RustyPaperclip Thu 14-Jan-16 20:59:17

Hi, really hoping for some advice from fellow cat owners. I own two cats, 1 male Siamese and 1 female moggy.

At our last house we often found cats sitting outside our door meowing and scratching to be let in. Our little female has been spayed, but at the time I did wonder if it was possible it hadn't been carried out correctly. I don't even know if that is possible but she was a rescue cat and spayed before we re homed her.

We then moved to live with my parents for a short time and had no problems, even with their own cats.

We moved to a new flat in late August and for the last month or so we have had numerous cats appear on our ground flat balcony, meowing and screaming at the door.

We could possible cope with this, but it is a very cold night tonight and a cat has been meowing outside our doors for nearly two hours. We have no idea where the cat lives, but it does seem to be in good condition and well fed. My Dh said to try and shoo it away and although I want to respect my cats territory, I am worried about the cat being out on such a cold night.

I have gone outside, and it is very friendly but it has tried to follow me inside. Understandably, my cats are quite distressed by the situation. I am very grateful for any advice.

cozietoesie Thu 14-Jan-16 21:37:19

I'm guessing that the male Siamese has definitely been spayed. ( You'd surely know about it if not.)

Have they both been to their new vet yet? I'd be tempted to check - mistakes and omissions sometimes happen.

RustyPaperclip Thu 14-Jan-16 23:02:54

Yes, Siamese was definitely neutered and they have both been to new vets since we have moved. Our female cat has a number of health problems (including multiple hip operations) so we are cautious about her potentially getting into fights with other cats. However she is a feisty little thing and seems to think she is at least twice her size.

coffeeisnectar Thu 14-Jan-16 23:07:38

Did the previous occupants of the flat have a cat? As maybe it's travelled back. Or the old occupants could have been feeding random cats so they keep coming back.

I wouldn't let it in but if you are worried, a box with a blanket could be put out for it.

And take a photo and post it on a spotted page on Facebook. It may be lost or just a six dinner Sid.

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Thu 14-Jan-16 23:23:35

I've had a female cat overseas that was neutered but still went into 'season' a few months later. I only found this out when she started throwing herself around, bum in the air and yowling in response to a couple of male cats outside, the hussy! The tomcats were big bruisers so I didn't let her out but she was determined to try.

Eventually the Vet decided to do an exploratory operation and it turned out the neutering hadn't been done properly, I think she still had one ovary which he removed. I never had a problem with her after that.

RustyPaperclip Fri 15-Jan-16 09:36:08

The previous occupants didn't have any pets, i'm not sure if they fed other cats though. I put a box out with a blanket but the meowing carried on for another hour or so.

We are now receiving regular visits from 4/5 cats. My siamese was so disturbed by all the fuss last night that he insisted on sleeping on my head!

thecatneuterer Fri 15-Jan-16 15:00:24

Sometimes when cats are spayed part of the uterus is accidentally left behind so that they come into season even though they can't get pregnant.

If the cats that come to the door are unneutered toms then that would be my guess. If however they are female and/or neutered then I have no idea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now