Help! Blood in poo

(4 Posts)
Tildasservant Thu 14-Jan-16 14:51:32

Ok my cat has a litter tray but never uses it now as she tends to go outside but we have kept litter tray for when she in the house just in case.
Today she was acting strangely and kept meowing, this is unusual for her as she normally only meows when there's food. I could hear some strange noise coming from upstairs so went to investigate, it was the cat scratching the inside if the bath as she had done a huge poo in there, as I was removing it I noticed it had fresh blood and lots of mucus in it.
She has never poo'd in the house before.
Any idea what this is, im assuming a trip to the vets is in order, is this overreacting though?

CaptainKit Thu 14-Jan-16 15:00:36

My cat did this once last year - we were in the midst of moving, so after some careful googling and the fact that it didn't happen again, I put it down to stress or her having eaten something funny. I did, however, spend the week examining the contents of the litter tray, just to be certain it wasn't happening.

I think the advice I found and followed was that if it only happened once or twice, and the cat otherwise seemed ok health-wise then to leave it, but if it kept happening, or if the cat was showing any other unusual symptoms then the vets ought to be consulted.

iloveeverykindofcat Thu 14-Jan-16 16:22:30

I'd say vet straight away, but my cats have a history with g/i viruses. You're probably safe to wait and see if it's a one-off. If not, you'll have to go to the vet to get stool samples tested. In the meantime, you can try a probiotic from any large pet store - can't hurt, might help.

KitKatCustard Thu 14-Jan-16 19:51:04

Like CaptainKit this happened to one of my cats when we moved house but it cleared up within 2 days. She's a very nervous little soul so stress seemed to be the reason.
(She is now sitting on my lap helping me to type this and is absolutely fine and wonderful!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now