Best way to rehome my cat

(6 Posts)
Blueredballoon Wed 13-Jan-16 08:48:01

I'm hoping for some advice on the best way to rehome our cat please. We have had him for 8 years and he's a lovely cat but needs a lot of attention. He has not coped well with the arrival of our baby in addition to our toddler. We have tried everything for a year but he is completely stressed out and nothing works. So, he will be moving to a new home with my parents this weekend. They have no children, no other pets, lots of time to dedicate to him and absolutely adore cats so I really think it's the best option for him.

I just wondered what's the best way to help him in the transition? He's predominantly an indoor cat (part of the problem I think) and doesn't like going outside. Is it best to send him with 'his' things (scratching post/ litter tray- he refuses to use a bed or toys!) or get new things straight away for him there?

Thank you in advance. I feel awful so want to make it as easy as possible.

cozietoesie Wed 13-Jan-16 09:05:51

Does he know your parents or their home at all?

cozietoesie Wed 13-Jan-16 09:08:34

PS - and I wouldn't feel so awful about it. It sounds like a good solution and one which potentially could please everybody. (And where he'll be living the life of Riley. grin)

littleladyluna Wed 13-Jan-16 09:12:42

Agree with cozietoesie that it sounds like a lovely life for him!

I'd send him with his own stuff that smells of him. When he gets to your parents have them put him in a quiet room so he can sniff around and get acquainted with his litter tray again. Sometimes needy cats cry to be let out and explore find willing laps so in that case I'd let him explore rooms of the house slowly.

Blueredballoon Wed 13-Jan-16 09:37:37

Oh yes, he'll definitely be spoilt!

He knows my dad as he comes in to feed him/ check him if we're ever away etc. Plus animals always gravitate to him anyway so he's quite happy around him.

Great thank you, I won't feel so guilty then smile

cozietoesie Wed 13-Jan-16 09:52:42

Sounds good. smile

As above, taking his current things over for him would give him an assist with familiarity - although, from the sound of it, your parents will be down to the pet store anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now