how often do we need to deflea and worm?

(15 Posts)
Gatekeeper Thu 07-Jan-16 08:56:00

I comb Sherlock everyday with a nit comb [comb] and he is spotless...no fleas/flea poo etc etc but am aware that this may not last

How often should I bung flea treatment on him ? is advantage drop on the best? Also which wormer and how often

thank you

Kim82 Thu 07-Jan-16 08:57:34

It should be done monthly. We use Stronghold on our cats which we get from the vets. It prevents both fleas and worms.

gamerchick Thu 07-Jan-16 08:58:13

Every 4 weeks. I just use advocate, does both jobs.

MrsGradyOldLady Thu 07-Jan-16 09:01:39

I do it monthly too. One of my cats is a bit feral and kills a lot of wild animals so the vet advised monthly treatments. I also use spot on. I buy them on amazon in bulk. I think they might be called advocate but not 100% sure. I have to also give a tablet as the spot on is only for one kind of worms. I hide the tablet in a lump of pate which prevents being savaged.

PolterGoose Thu 07-Jan-16 09:02:14

I use either Frontline or Advantage for fleas (though Frontline doesn't work everywhere it does here), once a month but less in winter. I spray Indorex about once a year around the various places he sleeps. Worming for most cats can be every 6 months but for hunting cats more often, PolterCat has phases when he hunts more and I'll worm him monthly then. I use Drontal worming tablets as it covers a huge range of worms.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Jan-16 09:09:33

I was going to say that I'm not at all sure that eg Advocate and Stronghold kill tapeworms. (Although they do other types of worms.) One of the vets who post might wish to comment on their latest formulation.

gamerchick Thu 07-Jan-16 09:11:45

There is another spot on you give every 3 months but I can't remember the name. It's a bit more pricey than the tablet form but easier.

PolterGoose Thu 07-Jan-16 09:12:57

That's my understanding too cozie, I don't think any spot on wormers are broad spectrum so you'd still need a tape worm treatment.

Gatekeeper Thu 07-Jan-16 09:14:57

thank you all; have just ordered advantage drop on and drontal worming tablets

cozietoesie Thu 07-Jan-16 09:19:08

Seniorboy has Profender which I understand to be a broad-spectrum spot-on. (He's not wormed as often as a young outside-going, hunting cat, so has his wormer and flea control on a slightly different schedule. Both spot ons though. He'd leave home if I tried to give him a pill.)

Gatekeeper Thu 07-Jan-16 12:09:13

next door has offered to worm him; he has hands like hams and doesn't take any nonsense with his cat <gulps>

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 07-Jan-16 13:44:20

Advocate and Stronghold only treat roundworms so if you use them you should give a tapeworm treatment every 6 months. The only spot on that currently does fleas, round and tapeworm is Broadline ( it also does ticks).
There are rumours of a flea treatment that will last for three months coming later this year.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Jan-16 13:52:16

Thanks, Lone.

Out of interest, are there any broad rules about how far apart you should give separate treatments to avoid overload on the cat's systems?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 07-Jan-16 19:12:09

It will depend a lot on the products involved Cozie, sorry no one straight answer.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Jan-16 19:18:46

Of course - a slightly daft question, really. It's just that drug interactions are not part of the common lexicon for cats and it's something that always concerns me a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now