Allergic to newly adopted Tabby

(5 Posts)
00100001 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:12:16

So, we adopted a 10 year old tabby cat from a shelter about three months ago.

And I'm allergic to it - I'm not allergic to our other black moggy.

I gave it a while to see if I 'acclimatised' to him, but nope. Streaming eyes any time he's been near me. Which is a shame, because he's a proper lap cat and likes a snooze on you.

Anyway, now I have "The Guilt" - should I send him back to the RSPCA? or just continue to take anti-histamnes?
confused

StillMedusa Mon 28-Dec-15 01:14:01

I'd stock up on Piriton and hope that it settles.. I'd hate to send away a lovely animal, and eventually you may acclimatise!

PolterGoose Mon 28-Dec-15 14:49:35

Dp is always allergic to a new cat, but it settles. We used Petal Cleanse wipes, an ioniser and he took antihistamines, he still has a reaction every now and then but it passes.

RoosterCogburn Mon 28-Dec-15 15:05:30

Another vote for Petal Cleanse.
The other thing that made a huge difference to me was an air filter purifier - I used to run it in the bedroom (cos I was foolish enough to let the cat sleep with us) and it made huge difference.

Over time I became immune to him and no longer needed to do these things.

anoldiebutagoody Thu 31-Dec-15 20:52:48

I'm allergic to cat fur especially the soft fluffy fur on a long haired cat. We've had cats for 37 years and 3 or 4 have been longhaired or semi longhaired - I just keep taking the antihistamines grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now