Adopting a 7 year old

(101 Posts)
jamesdeandaydream Sat 26-Dec-15 15:28:11

I took dd (1yo) to a cat shelter on Christmas Eve with full intentions of reserving a 3 year old boy I'd seen the previous day. When we introduced him to dd he just wasn't too keen on being around her so we had a look around and came across a beautiful black and white 7 year old girl who warmed to us both straight away. Dd instantly gave her a kiss on the mouth (her new habit that I'm trying to stop) and also hugged her and the cat was purring and enjoying every second. She was so loving and gorgeous. The age factor put me off but I can't not take her after seeing how good she was with dd.

Any tips on adopting an older cat? Am I doing the right thing? I'm so excited but a bit clueless at the same time - she'll be my first cat!

cozietoesie Sat 26-Dec-15 15:35:13

Seniorboy was close on 14 when he came to live with me! smile These days, 7 is barely - barely - middle aged. There are some things you might have to keep an eye out for - deteriorating teeth and joints for an example - but Heck. Even with a young cat, you have no idea what the next week will bring. ( And I'm talking about looking out for things in a couple of years time and not tomorrow. smile)

Check out the insurance position if you're likely to want it but otherwise? 7 is nothing.

Vinorosso74 Sat 26-Dec-15 15:53:29

Our B&W girl was 6 when we adopted her. It's only been this year that she's had any "ills"; she's now 13. Her and my DD who is almost 6 get on fine and always have done. If ever puss wants some peace she takes herself off for a snooze.
Sounds like that cat has chosen you! If she was happy with your DD I'm sure she'll be even better at home.
Re. pet insurance I think you can take out lifetime cover as long as they're under 10.

YeOldeTrout Sat 26-Dec-15 16:55:49

7yo is plenty young smile.
Surprised the shelter would let you adopt a cat with a 1yo in the house. They are normally very (too imho) strict about no children.

YeOldeTrout Sat 26-Dec-15 16:57:15

ps: re age... I don't bother about insurance but you want to consider if it's a product for you. My 11yo cat never costs us anything for medical but 3yo cat had an injury that cost £500. Age wasn't relevant.

timtam23 Sat 26-Dec-15 17:31:38

7 is young these days. My 2 previous cats both lived to 18 and really only gave us any long term worries with their health from age 16 onwards. If she gets on well with your DD I would say go for it!

jamesdeandaydream Sat 26-Dec-15 17:42:55

What's the reason for being reluctant to place a cat with a 1 year old? Should I be worried?

YeOldeTrout Sat 26-Dec-15 19:28:28

I guess they are often afraid your 1yo would torment the cat, and cat may already have been thru an ordeal or might be intolerant of kids so might scratch & then you might just reject cat after all.... We were allowed 2 kittens when my youngest was just a month short of 4yo, I was made to feel that was a big exception for the rescue to allow.

Of course you could get a cat (animal) in a million other ways and nobody will check who else is in your house. But when you get animals from rescues, they tend to be fussy.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Dec-15 19:31:05

Mines 6, 7 in April if I restrain myself, and only just calming down.

coffeeisnectar Sat 26-Dec-15 19:32:14

We took on my girl when she was 8 and she's adorable. So loving and sweet natured.

PolterGoose Sat 26-Dec-15 19:36:30

I think PolterCat was 9 when we adopted him, he's 14 next year, still extremely playful and very cheeky. 7 is young for cats smile

Scoopmuckdizzy Sat 26-Dec-15 19:38:06

I adopted a. 10 year old and he's still sprightly at 16!

jamesdeandaydream Sat 26-Dec-15 20:37:32

Aww I'm even more excited now smile. I have a home check next week and then she should be all mine. Is there anything I can do to help her settle in well?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Dec-15 21:20:31

If she's a confident cat she'll settle herself and let you know of any shortcomings in your arrangements.

BrokenGirl1 Sat 26-Dec-15 21:20:32

Aw grin Agree with the others that 7 isn't old at all.
I adopted my Madame a few months ago, who was then 8. She still plays and runs around, but is generally laid-back. It's a good age imo.
Do watch your 1yo with her, especially while she's settling in, as even the sweetest cat can get fed up with cuddles or freak out if toddler accidentally hurts them. But sure you'll be fine. You have been adopted smile

jamesdeandaydream Sat 26-Dec-15 21:37:54

She definitely chose us smile I didn't even see her when I went on my own the day before, I think she must have been hidden or asleep somewhere. I wish I could bring her home now! I'm hoping she'll snuggle up on the sofa with me when dd's gone to bed and keep me company grin

cozietoesie Sat 26-Dec-15 22:24:25

I think that the oldest cat I've seen on a rescue page was a 19 year old Siamese gent whose owner had died. If I recall, he was only on the breed rescue page for a couple of days before finding a new home.

That should give you some perspective. smile

sashh Sun 27-Dec-15 09:16:29

7 is not old, the oldest I fostered and was rehomed was 19. (Was rehomed with a lovely lady on her 90th birthday).

You and dd have been chosen, it is meant to be.

JennaRoss Sun 27-Dec-15 09:20:23

IME older cats are better with younger children. Ours adopted us at 10 and was in good health right til the end at 17.

Sounds like 2016 is the year of the cat for you OP

jamesdeandaydream Sun 27-Dec-15 14:51:00

I think so too. I've ordered a couple of books from amazon to do some research so I can make her as happy as possible!

cozietoesie Sun 27-Dec-15 14:54:48

Let us know how the home check goes then.

smile

JimmyGreavesMoustache Sun 27-Dec-15 15:01:19

our last cat was 11 when she came to us
she was very relaxed, and slept a lot, but had plenty of personality.

our present cat is now 9, and she's definitely not old yet - she's been haring around like a kitten all day.

Penfold007 Sun 27-Dec-15 15:14:23

We were adopted by a six year old tortie girl. She's been with us two years now and I think she has us all doing her bidding. Giving an older cat a second chance has been fine for our family.

FizzyBanger Sun 27-Dec-15 17:31:31

Agree with everyone else that 7 is not old for a cat. Fizzycat was 15 when he joined us from rescue a few months ago and he is fabulous!

jamesdeandaydream Mon 28-Dec-15 02:42:55

I will update after the home check smile

I'm probably pushing my luck buy it would be great if I could pick her up this week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now