The good and bad parts of owning a Ragdoll

(6 Posts)
FlowersAndShit Sat 26-Dec-15 11:35:22

I've been doing some research about Ragdoll's for a few months and I'm pretty sure this is the breed that would be suitable for me as I live in a small flat. It would be kept indoors and I'm thinking of getting a male as apparently, they tend to be more affectionate.

Can anyone tell me the good and not so good parts of owning a ragdoll?

Notmeagain1 Sun 27-Dec-15 23:58:31

I have a 7 mo old ragdoll kitten. She is just lovely.
Pros:
Very affectionate, love to cuddle
Very playful- plays fetch, with all of her toys and loves her cat tree
Smart - the smartest animal I have ever owned. After the new year, I am going to attempt to toilet train her. I know someone that was able to train her rag to use the toilet and has got rid of the litterbox. I will have to see how that one goes, though.
Does not shed
Quiet, Mine does not talk much at all

Cons:
Eats a lot (6small cans of food a day) and very picky on the type of food she eats, will not eat dry food at all
Must be with her humans (or in my house if Im home with me everywhere I go)
Does not know fear, reason they should never be let outside

This is pretty much all I can think of right now. Just be careful that you choose a good breader and all the paperwork is in order. If you are a cat lover, you can not go wrong with a ragdoll. Just be prepared for a large cat. Mine went to the vet last week to have her claws trimmed up (her nails are black and I'm terrified I will cut them too short) and at 7 mo old she is 9.8lbs and she was ther unt of her litter. She's on my lap now purring so loudly, but I just love the sound of pure contentment. Good luck with tour search.

Notmeagain1 Mon 28-Dec-15 00:00:14

**she was the runt of her litter

FlowersAndShit Mon 28-Dec-15 18:59:08

Thank you! Your kitten sounds adorable.

bodenbiscuit Wed 06-Jan-16 21:32:44

I have an 8 month old girl ragdoll. She is adorable - we all love her to bits. I can't think of any disadvantages really. She never has any accidents or anything. Lately she has been asking me for food constantly though! I guess that's the only thing. She has a lovely temperament and is happy to have her tummy stroked.

Dieu Thu 07-Jan-16 00:09:58

I used to own one years ago, a beautiful wee male. Not for me, I'm afraid. He didn't have much in the personality department, and I will never forget the horror of removing the poo from his backside fur. I'm happier these days with my moggie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now