8 month cat peeing on sofa - at the end of my tether.

(6 Posts)
TallPumpkinSpiceLatte Tue 22-Dec-15 21:51:27

I have a gorgeous male Siamese teenage cat, he's lovely in every single way bar one: since he was about 3 months old he started to wee in places apart from his litter tray. First it was the floor, he then moved onto the beanbags (got rid of them), then finally onto the sofa.

We have another male Siamese cat of a similar age who has never weed on anything, the two of them are best friends, they are rarely apart from each other and run and play (and play fight) all day long, well apart from when they are sleeping. They're mostly indoors but are let out into the garden (petsafe system installed so they don't stray)

The sofa now has a permanent hideous waterproof mattress cover on it, along with an attractive vinyl table cloth which is on at all times when we are not actively sitting on it. The problem is, he manages to catch the sofa when it is not being guarded and then proceeds to do a full wee on it. It is absolutely infuriating and makes me want to turn him into a fur muff.

The washing has become a real chore, and I am desperate to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

Things we have tried:
- felliway plug in and spray
- changing cat litter
- extra litter tray (so 3 litter trays for 2 cats, with 3 different cat litters)
- nutricalm from the vets
- changed from dry food to wet food (supplemented by dry food)
- trip to the vets where nothing showed up, wee came up clear after being tested, given pain relief for a week in case he was in pain

I'm finding that I'm getting increasingly upset about the endless washing and vigilance needed to keep our sofa clean. I hope someone out there has a solution, because I've run out of ideas.

As far as cat litter is concerned, we originally got a Tesco white non clumping cat litter, but it was so smelly, we changed to oko cats best. We now also use silica cat litter, and have started using catsan non clumping. This is costing us an arm and a leg. We scoop out the clumps and poos twice a day. Change the litter once a week.

If you've got this far, congratulations and if you have any words of wisdom I'd be delighted to hear them.

ophiotaurus Wed 23-Dec-15 10:28:07

Have they both been neutered?

TallPumpkinSpiceLatte Thu 24-Dec-15 14:21:43

Definitely neutered. No health issues that we're aware of. He's the world's soppiest cat, it's just this seeing on the sofa that's infuriating

ophiotaurus Thu 24-Dec-15 14:46:12

It could be because there is still a smell there he keeps going back to it?

TallPumpkinSpiceLatte Sun 03-Jan-16 21:42:11

Well I think we've narrowed down the incidents of weeing on the sofa to situations where he is scared (I.e. He hates the Hoover) and when his litter isn't clean enough. Oh and it has to be catsan, even though we offer Oko cats best and Silica crystal varieties. Fussy bugger!
He won't go if he sees a poo in the catsan, which is changed twice a week and cleared out 2/3 times a day.

How very tiresome.

ophiotaurus Mon 04-Jan-16 07:31:55

Oh no that's a pest. Is the litter deep enough so he can bury it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now