tips for a peaceful home

(5 Posts)
sphinxster Tue 15-Dec-15 18:59:48

I want to ask for some hints and tips on how to get two of our cats to be friends (or just hate each other less).

We have three cats: #1 is an old girl, very chilled out and stays out of everyone's way, sits on the wardrobe but sets firm boundaries with the others; #2 is a one year old girl who we rescued a year ago, found in the road, she was a mess and we nursed her. She's now a spoilt eternal baby; #3 is a 5 month old boy who we rescued 3 months ago and has one of his front legs amputated.

#2 hates #3. She's horrid to him. We've tried introducing them using cages, giving their meals together, lots of fuss and treats when there's a calm interaction, calming collars and sprays.

It doesn't seem to be getting any better, as soon as #2 gets the chance she launches at the poor little boy.

I don't want to find another home for #3 but I went into early labour shortly after rescuing him and now have a baby to care for and don't have time to referee cat fights... Please help.

cozietoesie Tue 15-Dec-15 20:52:52

Has the young boy been neutered?

sphinxster Tue 15-Dec-15 21:06:07

Yes, he was done before we brought him home (they took his leg and genitals shock).

sphinxster Wed 16-Dec-15 14:24:45

Polite bump!

fenneltea Wed 16-Dec-15 17:50:59

I'm going through a similar thing at the moment, and I've been through it a couple of times in the past too! I recently took in an entire stray that I've neutered and who has been in his own room for five weeks.

Initially my other cat - who was also rescued and is a total spoilt baby was hostle when they met, but he's slowly been going in the new one's room, eating his food and using his litter tray and then leaving.

Once he's realised that his place isnt being taken over then he's coming round to the newcomer. It is easier as the new cat hasn't gone for him.

I'd try keeping the new boy in his own room for a while if he isn't already, (it helps if the female has to go into 'his' territory) and start introductions from scratch again. Sometimes they just have to sort themselves out and eventually rub along together, it just takes time and a backwards step if it isnt working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now