Anyone re-strung a scratching post?

(21 Posts)
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 01-Dec-15 16:45:04

I might be a bit deluded, but considering having a go at this. Spongecat seems to get through them quite quickly! I can get hold of string, and would presumably need some kind of animal-friendly glue. Any thoughts? TIA

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Dec-15 17:44:17

I think sisal would be harder wearing. No idea on glue but you cant do a worse job than pets at home do.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 01-Dec-15 18:33:09

Can I get sisal string then? My thoughts too about that Pet Shop Fluffy made to expire very quickly so you buy lots The only sisal ones I have come accross seem to have been woven I think.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Dec-15 18:41:09

Have you looked on ebay? they usually have what you want.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 01-Dec-15 18:52:02

Not gone that far. Will have a look, thanks smile

ToysDontWorkNoMore Tue 01-Dec-15 18:55:15

Buy sisal or (similar) rope from eBay. You need quite a lot of it. Use double sided "no nails" type tape to secure and superglue/hot glue ends.

ToysDontWorkNoMore Tue 01-Dec-15 18:57:44

You can probably forego the tape.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 01-Dec-15 20:41:17

Ok, thanks Toys smile

loraflora Thu 03-Dec-15 23:06:03

Let us know how it turns out. I love a good project looks round at 100s of unfinished ones.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 03-Dec-15 23:13:52

Existing string on post has been glue-gunned, much to Spongecat's dismay at having her stuff man-handled... I think I will get the sisal to replace this when it goes again. Interestingly, this is a plastic vase type post, from Home Bargains (I think) and has been much more robust than the cardboard crap ones we usually have from the Pets at X place!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 05-Dec-15 20:20:28

The card ones are crap. I'd love a floor to ceiling one but dh says no.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 06-Dec-15 15:32:04

Floor to ceiling? That high? Have had wall ones before, but cats have always managed to go over the edges into the wallpaper, so at least with a free-standing one you don't have that problem. I suppose Fluffy that it would be possible to adapt a plastic container/vase/thing by weighting it and then doing the sisal attaching thing.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 14-Jun-16 17:48:05

Right. Have done it. Not as tidy as original stringing, but Spongecat enjoying it just the same! Ridiculously pleased not to have bought a new one <smug>

Papergirl1968 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:38:39

Did it take six months to do it?!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 14-Jun-16 18:59:13

It took me that long to get round to doing it! grin Lora wanted to know how I got on.

RubbishMantra Tue 14-Jun-16 20:51:49

That reminds me, I bought a load of sisal, our house has 2 floor to ceiling supports, which I plan to wrap the sisal around. Sadly, the makings of the Grand Scratching Post are still sitting in my understairs cupboard. blush

Maybe your success will inspire me, SpongeBob.

I made their current one from scratch, because all the ones in the shops didn't look tall enough.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 14-Jun-16 21:36:10

Go on, Mantra, imagine the sense of achievement grin

RubbishMantra Wed 15-Jun-16 07:20:53

I'll have to do it now, otherwise I'll imagine you, floating on a cloud, silently admonishing me, wearing ya judgeypants, holding your upcycled scratchy-post aloft, smugly. grin

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Thu 16-Jun-16 19:38:39

Lolz. You've had 24 hrs Mantra, have you done it yet? grin

RubbishMantra Thu 16-Jun-16 21:01:37

No.....But I've done a fair bit of procrastinating. grin

RubbishMantra Thu 16-Jun-16 21:04:38

Little Monsieur runs up the current one, swings around like a pole dancer, then runs down head first, like a squirrel.

He's a born entertainer, that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now