It's Obie time again...

(2 Posts)
StillMedusa Sun 15-Nov-15 23:25:12

So... in the summer we reluctantly paid the vets to clipper him. As a 20 pound Maine Coon teenager, with serious cattitude and very poor grooming habits (ie he doesn't bother and he will NOT let me groom him for more that 5 mins at a time) he gets matted. Very.. like felt to his flanks.

The vets in their wisdom didn't clipper him but spent hours (at great expense...mine) detangling and then shaved a HUGE patch on his flanks where it was worst.

I have tried... I have every comb/knot splitter known to man. But after 5 mins max he scarpers and I then nurse my wounds. He is now matting badly again and I can only get to the surface knots.

I have some clippers. I have systematically tried to trim, comb, split his matted bits (he looks fab on the surface but the undercoat is awful) He has THE thickest longest coat I have ever seen.

Do I try myself, with DH's help to hold him? Despite the fact that he is THE most badass ungrateful cat of all time I don't want to frighten him! But the vets did a dreadful job..and not what I had asked them to do. I asked them to clip him short precisely because I knew he would be in the same state again.

I feel horribly embarrassed about it... his sister is no problem and she is groomed daily and enough to keep the knots at bay, but he is a very different personality.

Or do I book him in and hope they do a better job this time?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:51:42

Try a different vet? he could have a lion cut with booties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now