Rescue cat arrives next week, what do we need?

(23 Posts)
TheGreenNinja Mon 26-Oct-15 19:43:10

Much excitement here, my DD is asking every day if the cat is arriving! I haven't had a cat for about 6 years (previous cat was pts which I found quite distressing) but have had a huge cat-shaped hole in my life.
Rescue cat is still quite young (< year) and a bit timid. I have no cat stuff at all any more, so need a trip to the pet shop. Will have to resist buying a lovely cat bed and instead stick a cardboard box in the corner, much more likely to be used!
What do I need to get/remember?

hiddenhome2 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:17:47

Ceramic bowls - plastic can be bad for cats.

Feliway Diffuser - they're cheaper from eBay.

A soft blanket.

A couple of toys - get a laser pointer, they love them (avoid shining it in the eyes though).

Some food, obviously.

Litter tray and litter.

snicks1977 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:35:30

Cardboard box definetly I had three fighting over one last week... Big boy cat couldn't fit in it smile but took ownership

What hidden says plus lots of love X

MissMarpleCat Mon 26-Oct-15 20:36:51

Scratch post, to save your furniture.

snicks1977 Mon 26-Oct-15 20:39:50

Oh defo one of those!!! I get scratch boards from Amazon they love them

LeaLeander Mon 26-Oct-15 20:44:03

They love a heating pad for warmth. Mine enjoyed chenille pipe cleaners twisted into various shapes as toys.

PolterGoose Mon 26-Oct-15 20:47:43

Get vertical and horizontal scratchers, you don't need anything fancy, PolterCat loves the cheap 'Cat Scratch Sofa' I bought after seeing Jackson Galaxy recommend one!

Mine loves his wicker basket (it's a dog sized one as he's a huge cat) with a pile of blankets to emulate a washing pile grin

Don't forget the Dreamies

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Oct-15 20:51:18

Can you cat proof a room and restrict it to that to start with. It will help it to settle.
Chimney and under the dishwasher are blocked up here to stop mad kitten escape attempts!
Cat carrier.
Book vets if not vaccinated or spayed.
Mine love scratching post and radiator hangers always go down well here.

Wolfiefan Mon 26-Oct-15 20:52:20

Oh and camera. MN needs pics! It's the law of the litter tray.
Get litter! Check what rescue use.
Check what food cat is on. Sudden changes can upset tummies.

hiddenhome2 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:02:54

I'm finding that they love those cheap cardboard scratch things that are out now. They're compressed, serrated cardboard in a block shape. They're great.

TheGreenNinja Mon 26-Oct-15 21:05:46

Am making a list! I thought she could go in the dining room initially, until she settles in. She's not a looker, bless her, only has one eye, but I think she's lovely.
She needs a second vaccination but rescue are providing a voucher and details of vets when she arrives.
Chimney is a good point, we have one open chimney where the fire isn't used any more, will have to look into blocking that off.

PolterGoose Mon 26-Oct-15 21:07:05

They're fab aren't they hidden, this is what we have

hiddenhome2 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:12:27

Oo, that's quite a fancy one Polter grin

PolterGoose Mon 26-Oct-15 21:13:03

It's really not fancy grin

MissMarpleCat Mon 26-Oct-15 21:14:52

I've never seen one of those before polter, will definitely invest in one.

hiddenhome2 Mon 26-Oct-15 21:15:34

It is compared to ours - cheapie from the RSPCA they do the trick though. They're a great idea.

goodasitgets Tue 27-Oct-15 01:28:18

I got a catnip scratch box from the willow range at pets at home. It has holes in so they can chase the ball in it. Obviously mine doesn't do that because he's too lazy grin but he scratches it and sleeps on it!

goodasitgets Tue 27-Oct-15 01:31:08

This one. Funnily the reviews mention cats like sleeping on it
ink{http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/cat/cat-scratching-furniture/willows-scratcher-box?orderBy=1\www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/cat/cat-scratching-furniture/willows-scratcher-box?orderBy=]]1}

Dollyemi Tue 27-Oct-15 02:23:22

Definitely somewhere to hide and some feliway, especially if you have bonfire night fireworks going off nearby next week.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Tue 27-Oct-15 11:49:37

dreamies are our new find (never knew about them with our old girl)

We put dreamies into a tub and shake it when we give our new rescue a treat. he now comes into the house as fast as you like when we shake it at the door! I would love to know what they put in those biscuits!!

TheGreenNinja Wed 28-Oct-15 12:46:04

Went to a pet shop yesterday and we're fully stocked, thanks for the tips! Except I forgot the feliway, I'll have to order online.
Promise to update with pics once she's here grin

TheGreenNinja Mon 02-Nov-15 11:06:27

She's here, and nosing round her new home!

cozietoesie Mon 02-Nov-15 13:03:42

Lovely girl - even if a little tentative. smile

Has she a name yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now