Kittens! Tell me everything I don't know ;)

(33 Posts)
TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:36:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 07-Sep-15 18:39:44

Nerves of steel! We picked up our kitten two weeks ago. I haven't had a baby kitty for 25 years, I've always had other peoples cast offs. I'd forgotten what complete monsters they are grin.

BlueBlueBelles Mon 07-Sep-15 18:40:31

Go round the house and kitten proof it! Make sure you have kick boards on your kitchen cupboards and no way of getting behind the bath panel (they hide everywhere) make sure you move the loo brush if you have one, case they tip it over. Move everything. Every ornament. Every little trinket. And put piles of blankets outside the bedroom door for when they want somewhere near to sleep. And relinquish your favourite chair.

Mine are 20 odd weeks now, can yu tell?!

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:40:48

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:41:13

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:41:48

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 07-Sep-15 18:43:59

They will climb your curtains at some point at least once in their first year.
They will be 6monthd old at Christmas if you put up a tree you are offering them the kitten version of Thorpe Park.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:46:01

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:47:35

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 18:48:17

ClaudiaNaughton Mon 07-Sep-15 18:54:16

Block chimney if you have one. Our white kitten shot up there on arrival. Stayed for ages. Was named Sooty.grin

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 19:06:03

HemanOrSheRa Mon 07-Sep-15 19:21:53

Hee hee! Ours got hold of a Lush shimmy shimmy glitter bar on Friday night. It was carnage! He's got a lovely shiny coat now though! Oh and he got out of the bathroom window and sat on the windowsill ON THE OUTSIDE! And he hides, hides in the smallest of places until I think I'm going mad because I can't find him. The dog has spent the last two weeks looking like this shock and confused.

You'll be fine grin

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Sep-15 19:24:45

Toilet seats down. Washing machine door shut!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Sep-15 20:25:48

Placemarking for photos and stories of daring kitten doo.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 20:56:41

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 20:57:28

bialystockandbloom Mon 07-Sep-15 21:01:48

That is the most beautiful kitten you have there - and can't believe you have another just like him envy envy

Nothing useful at all to add, just getting a nightly fix of kitten pictures smile

HemanOrSheRa Mon 07-Sep-15 21:16:35

Wah envy! Very, very cute! Just as well winkgrin.

TheDrugsWorkABitTooWellThanks Mon 07-Sep-15 21:21:07

Wolfiefan Mon 07-Sep-15 21:22:07

Watching with interest. Hoping to get a couple of kittens very soon!

MrsBertMacklin Mon 07-Sep-15 21:25:52

Oooh, that kitten looks like he should be on a birthday card!

Good luck.

BlueBlueBelles Mon 07-Sep-15 21:43:11

My two mischief makers

BlueBlueBelles Mon 07-Sep-15 21:44:47

Oh yours is lovely! Can't believe mine are so big now, we got them at 7 weeks and they're now 19 I think, maybe 20 weeks

RabbitsarenotHares Tue 08-Sep-15 11:41:18

Am not sure toddler-proofing is good enough for kittens. Remember - they jump! So things that would be safe for toddlers (ie out of reach) are just a challenge for kittens.

Lock up anything that could be knocked down. I lost the three orchids I was growing from seed when Missy arrived - they all got knocked down the first night she was with us. That was a manic night though - I slept on the sofa to keep her company and she alternated running around like crazy, jumping up wherever she could and watching things fall down, and throwing herself onto my chest and curling up, purring!

Enjoy your new arrivals!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now