Cat flap in bathroom door?

(19 Posts)
cakedup Sat 05-Sep-15 22:44:07

Is this a totally mad idea?

I've just moved and trying to work out where to put the cat litter tray. If I keep it in the bathroom, then I'm worried that
a) they will need to use it when the bathroom is in use and
b) I don't like to keep the bathroom door open all the time as it's right opposite the kitchen.

So I'm wondering if a cat flap on the bathroom door would be the answer.

cozietoesie Sat 05-Sep-15 23:05:23

It seems a little extreme I have to admit. Why does it have to be the bathroom?

cakedup Sat 05-Sep-15 23:16:11

There are a couple of other places it coud go. The hallway storage closet - but I would have to put a cat flap in that door too! Although in some ways it's preferable to a cat flap in the bathroom door, even if it does mean losing out on some storage space. Or there is corner in the hallway - where the coats are meant to hang. I could possibly relocate the coats to the hallway storage closet I suppose.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 07-Sep-15 07:02:26

If your planning on staying there then why not?. Dh put a cat flap in the back gate for our cat so he doesn't have to jump down from a six foot fence.

cozietoesie Mon 07-Sep-15 08:12:56

Well that was cheaper than hiring a permanent member of staff to look after ASBO's needs 24/7 I guess. wink

RabbitsarenotHares Tue 08-Sep-15 11:43:41

We have a catflap in our bathroom door, but only because the bathroom window is her doorway to the outside world, and keeping the door open made the house too cold. (Plus the neighbourhood tom would come in and spray, so we now have a microchip catflap).

No reason not to if it makes sense to you.

Toooldtobearsed Tue 08-Sep-15 11:57:27

We have a cat flap into the garage as well as the back door.

My old boy does not approve of rain or snow, so needs access to his tray in winter. It works very well - go for it!

Toooldtobearsed Tue 08-Sep-15 11:58:34

Cats coming through flaps can make you jump though, so shaving bikini line might be a thing of the past grin

cakedup Tue 08-Sep-15 13:58:20

To be honest, I don't even like sitting on the toilet when my cats are in the room because they just glare at me. Very off-putting. However, my discomfort is of little importance when it comes to cats, I learnt that a long time ago (see: scratches on my thighs due to constant kneading, cats play fighting on my bed at 4am etc).

This might be a bit of a silly question RabbitsarenotHares but the cat flap doesn't let any toilet smell escape does it?

RabbitsarenotHares Tue 08-Sep-15 18:09:30

Can't say I've noticed. But I have guineas in the room next door so the human toilet has competition for smells anyway! Plus the alternative was keeping the door open (though we do that in the evening once the window is closed anyway). But the catflap closes tightly so I can't imagine any smells do escape.

I don't jump when she comes through the catflap, but the window is behind the loo so every now and again I get treated to a low flying thing suddenly appearing over my shoulder. That's always fun!

goawayalready Tue 08-Sep-15 18:14:23

i cut a chunk out of my gate once to let fat cat out the front

go for it

jessieb887 Tue 08-Sep-15 18:30:33

We put a cat flap in our downstairs toilet door as we couldn't put in in our front door, due to it being a fire door, and couldn't in the back door as its glass patio doors so the solution...leave the little window open and put a magnetic cat flap on the inside door ??!!

cakedup Wed 09-Sep-15 10:54:12

Seems like cutting holes into doors and gates to make cats' lives easier (because they have it so hard don't they) is the way forward! Thanks, I feel like I'm in good company.

mandylo1983 Wed 09-Sep-15 11:36:04

hey guys, this may be of interest to you fellow cat lovers.... please spare a quick 2 seconds - thanks x

www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/240/278/267/make-it-a-legal-requirement-to-stop-and-report-it-if-you-run-over-a-cat/

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 09-Sep-15 12:37:43

I've signed.

Op, cats have terribly hard lives. I'm not sure how but they do act hard done by sometimes. Especially when it's raining at the back door and the front door.

cakedup Wed 09-Sep-15 22:18:31

Signed. One of my cats got run run over a couple of years ago, it was an accident waiting to happen as he was such a risk taker but wouldn't stay inside. The people who knocked him over were kind enough to take him to the vet hospital but it was too late. I wanted to thank them for at least caring for him in his last moments, and to let them know he was just very crazy and I didn't blame them but the vet wouldn't give me their details.

Fluffycloudland77 surely you follow them around with a little mini cat umbrella? Where's your dedication??

TitsCrossed Wed 09-Sep-15 22:27:35

I have 2 internal cat flaps: one in utility door (flap to outside world and litter tray in here) and one in cellar door (futility room is in cellar).

The Tit Cats have access to every room/bed as they see fit. They wouldn't allow it. I'm still on their shit list for not letting them into the eaves.

TitsCrossed Wed 09-Sep-15 22:28:56

*they wouldn't allow me to stop them

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 10-Sep-15 12:47:45

Futility room! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now