cat behaviour

(34 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 09:55:09

I have a question for you about my cat. Normally my mum comes in to see him once a day (she lives nearby) to give him lunch and she sometimes stays for lunch herself and does washing for me etc...

My cat is very sociable and lately I've been working later (by about an hour). my mum is also away on holiday so for past week and a half no one can visit him...

he is half siamese/half moggy - anyway last night he went mad - loads of frenzied caterwauling, full on siamese screeching - i tried to settle him in his 'bed' area, tried to play (he doesn't really like playing anymore). he just wanted me - who was tired...

his favourite thing to do now is to go to his scratching post - aggressively scratch it and then let me put him to bed and stroke him...

any ideas? will this get worse re the siamese caterwauling? he was 1 year old in April.

Wolfiefan Thu 13-Aug-15 09:56:57

Is he neutered?
Siamese are known for talking. Maybe he thinks you don't know your mum is AWOL! grin

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 10:13:09

he is neutered.

basically he's not been happy because it's raining (has been known to yowl at the rain).

he just seems more talkative now - maybe its an age thing?

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 15:56:51

Perhaps he's been missing the company he's used too with your mum being away. From what I understand siamese cats get very attached to their many slaves and don't like being alone!

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 16:28:50

Betty I think it's that...

it's not my fault that i'm home later and then also I want to do me stuff. thing is he seemed fine with me internet browsing etc before... bloody cat

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 17:00:55

Perhaps it's his age and he'll grow out of it.
I've got a Siamese X, but also 2 older cats, so if we're not about she plays/antagonises them instead grin

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 17:02:28

my one is half siamese but he is very siamese (woman who bred him told us this).

is yours quite siamese in her ways?

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 17:10:00

I've had many Siamese over the years and I think he is trying to convey his utter contempt that you have left him on his own with nobody to talk to and tend to his every need. If your mum's not going in then he has to tell you all the things he's been up to that day (sleeping, eating, sleeping some more) since he last saw you.

The scratching thing is territorial and just showing you that he's the boss and you should pull your socks up grin.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 17:16:25

yeah I need to re-take a cat owner course again Mimi grin

he actually I think is in and out a lot - he only started to go out after his first birthday in April and when I am at home he is in and out of the garden with occasional naps. plus eating.

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 17:19:38

Well if he goes out a lot then he has even more to tell you about grin

My Siamese have always been very chatty (and yowly) and will often reply to me when I talk to them. I can have great conversations with them and prefer talking to them to most people wink

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 17:52:38

Mine has the very big bat ears and finely boned facial features, but she doesn't 'talk' or yowl very much. But she likes to be close to her slaves when in the house. She also likes to drink out of the toilet bowl if the seat is up, yuck grin

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 18:17:57

Betty I love the new "type" of Siamese - what colour is she? Pic please?

Mine are the old fashioned kind and are very clever. Some of them turn the bathroom and kitchen taps on to have a drink and some of them can open doors, even those with round handles. They also love a good game of fetch!

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 18:20:00

Mine I don't think can open doors or turn on taps he's more look at me stroke me.

Used to play fetch but since he's gone out no more.

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 19:17:09

BettyKitten. She was rescued as a kitten and I was the first person my vet rang to see if I'd rehome her. I had no idea at the time what breed she was. I couldn't believe she'd been dumped at the vets sad
She's so affectionate smile

TheAmyrlin Thu 13-Aug-15 19:21:16

She's beautiful!!

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 19:25:44

Thank you, I think so, but I'm biased as she's my baby grin

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 19:30:57

She is absolutely beautiful, betty but she's an Oriental, not a Siamese. They're exactly the same nature, etc as a Siamese but are solid in colour rather than pointed.

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 19:31:33

She is definitely a pedigree too.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 13-Aug-15 19:37:06

Mine is half snowshoe/chocolate point and half moggy. He has a rounder face like original siamese and round eyes like they have. Also very long legs.... Will try to upload photo

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 19:38:08

Oh I see. I'm not very clued up on those breeds. She's a real character!

BustyDeLaGhetto Thu 13-Aug-15 19:48:16

I love Siamese. Mine is a middle aged rescue with one eye. He is a yowly, clingy noisy little Lord but I legit love his furry face

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 20:01:54

*Busty *He's gorgeous - looks like a blue point.
Betty That's why MN is here, you can find out anything!

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 20:05:33

Yes mn is a wealth of info. I was led to believe she was siamese x with blue. Oriental seems to fit the bill grin

Mimigolightly Thu 13-Aug-15 20:27:33

She may actually be a Havana - does this look like her?

BettyCatKitten Thu 13-Aug-15 20:56:05

Facially very similar, but smaller body, but that may be due to her bad start on life. The vet nurse seems to think she'll always be on the small side. She's 18 months now and still small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now