My cat is bullied by the cat's neighbour ! How can we help him ?

(6 Posts)
Myfoofneedspruning Sun 26-Jul-15 14:50:49

We moved 4 months ago to a new house with a patio. We have 2 cats, one of them is having a really bad time because of the cat's neighbour. Our cannot go out without this other cat trying to hurt him. Our cat used to love the outdoor but now doesn't go out much because of this other cat. He is now a bit overweight, he poos/wees outside the litter tray mainly on my dh's clothes. We took him to the vet who said that our cat was anxious and gave him some pills. We have Feliway. How can we help ? Shall we go and talk to the neighbour ?

girliefriend Sun 26-Jul-15 15:13:50

I can't see the talking to your neighbour will do much good tbh, cats are territorial and your cats have invaded another cats spot!

I would keep your cat in for a bit until he settles, the weeing and pooing thing sounds awful so I would be reminding him to use the litter tray as much as possible. Then only let him out supervised and for short periods of time, if possible sprinkle some of his wee in the garden as might mark his territory.

ArseForElbow Sun 26-Jul-15 15:16:35

This happened to one of my cats, in the end it got so bad she became an indoor cat, there is not a lot you can do, unfortunately.

howtorebuild Sun 26-Jul-15 15:18:43

Water gun the other cat?

Myfoofneedspruning Sun 26-Jul-15 15:24:54

Thank you for your help. He is becoming an indoor cat which is sad sad a couple of time that bastard cat even chased him inside our house up to our bedroom. It's just bizarre because the other cat we have us not affected at all and doesn't get bullied. We have a water gun and used it on the neighbour cat but she still comes onto our patio.

Lurkedforever1 Sun 26-Jul-15 15:32:39

I'm not sure there is much you can do, unless it is a polite chat with the neighbour to ask their cats habits and see if there's times their cat is always inside. Worst they can say is no, it's out 24/7. And if it was me I'd be happy to work something out so yours got some safe time out with mine kept in.
One of mine ( tiny female ) is a bit twatty with some other cats. Never actually fights, warning lash and they're off. God knows why but they all back down. However provided they're respectful in future they are permitted on 'her' territory. That's how I aquired the second one, she kept bringing it home. But if the dominant Tom she won't allow on her territory lived within it, and therefore was unhappy, I'd happily work something out.
As long as you just go round and politely ask if there's any time theirs is usually in, even if they say no only a moron would take offence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now