Ladies of the Litter Tray, please talk some sense into me

(10 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 20-Jul-15 22:23:55

I like to think I'm fairly sensible in a mad cat lady sort of way. However tonight I made the mistake of looking at kittens on Gumtree. I've never done it before and won't be doing it again as I was shocked at how many kittens are on there - I was getting more and more annoyed about people not neutering their cats. There was one that I wasn't convinced was healthy.

And now to the point of my post. Please convince me I cannot rescue the little black kitten who is being given away. I felt so sorry for him and my instinct is to phone up and say I'll have him (he's not ready to go yet) as I'm so worried he'll end up in the wrong hands.

I know it's not sensible or practical (DH looked at me as though I'd lost the plot) and I don't know what H's paternal instincts are like but I can't get his little face out of my mind.

Why am I so soft when it comes to animals?

Wolfiefan Mon 20-Jul-15 22:26:08

Because they have mind control powers.
My cat was pts a week ago. I daren't go near gumtree. I just daren't!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 20-Jul-15 22:28:47

I know. I will never look again, it's too upsetting and I'm amazed at how many kittens are on there.

If I had more space I would be phoning up tomorrow and explaining to DH afterwards (he's as soft as me really!) but it would be difficult here.

I'm so sorry about your cat Wolfie thanks

sparkysparkysparky Tue 21-Jul-15 10:09:43

When local rescue centre is closed (and with the added precaution of earplugs) , leave a goody bag of litter, cat food, toys and freshly laundered old towels - we all know they love fresh laundry. That will be good for your caring soul and good for the cats.
I think I'm still on the right side of crazy cat lady too.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 21-Jul-15 15:08:40

That's a good idea sparky! Battersea Old Windsor is close to us so they might do well out of this!

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Jul-15 15:11:27

Thanks OP. She was 19 and we rescued her 17 years ago. Will be looking at rescues in the autumn!!!

Corygal Tue 21-Jul-15 22:42:01

What exactly is the problem with rescuing the little black kitty?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jul-15 08:53:01

Sorry for the late reply Corygal, I decided to think rationally about this and talk to DH again before answering!

1. Harry is very sensitive. He pulled out his fur when the neighbours had scaffolding in the alley between our houses and he went out when William tried to come in last year. He's used to being king of his castle and we'd both hate for him to feel pushed out.

2. We live in a small house and separating the cats would be difficult - we have no spare bedroom. My friend managed it by crating the new kitten in the living room so it could be done in an emergency but not ideal.

3. We're going to be going away for one weekend a month for the forseeable future. Harry comes with us (it's MIL's holiday cottage) but the new cat might not travel and we couldn't take him initially anyway as it wouldn't be fair. That would mean paying for our cat sitter.

4. I have no idea if the kitten is healthy. If I went to pick him up and there was something wrong with him there's no way I could leave him and we would struggle to afford vets bills and insurance wouldn't cover him. (Harry is already insured).

5. DH is also worried about the cost which is fair enough - he works for himself and is pretty much part time for health reasons so can't guarantee what he will get each month. I did an insurance quote for Raymond (as I've called him!) and it came out at £18 a month with Petplan which seems extortionate!

Now I've written it all down and read it back I can see that DH is right, it doesn't make sense to take on another cat. Why do I still want to do it though?!

Wolfiefan Wed 22-Jul-15 08:55:37

Because the little blighters wrap their paws around your heart and leave you helpless!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 22-Jul-15 09:05:30

I know! I don't think I'm going to have any luck convincing DH though and I do worry about Harry sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now