Help! Mummy cats moved her two week old kittens in the bathroom. What do I do.

(20 Posts)
whatsinthename Thu 02-Jul-15 04:27:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whatsinthename Thu 02-Jul-15 04:28:50

tangledyarn Thu 02-Jul-15 05:22:24

I don't really know anything about nursing cats but know that my cat spent the day lying on the bathroom floor which was totally out of character so it could be the heat. Could you cool another room down for her..fans, wet towels etc and see if she will stay there?

RubbishMantra Thu 02-Jul-15 13:25:05

She may not want to be in such close proximity to the other queen and kittens. Try her in another bedroom.

eatyouwithaspoon Thu 02-Jul-15 13:31:53

Im not sure. Do you have any kitten photos to help me picture it ...smile

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 02-Jul-15 13:38:13

I had a cat who moved her litter to the mat in front of the loo at that age. She had her reasons, but it wasn't convenient for the rest of us! Nothing I could do about it though, cats are very stubborn about such things. It possibly is due to the heat atm so yes, do try cooling another spot and see if she moves them.

Otherwise, do train everyone to put the toilet lid down while kittens are in residence, or you might end up hauling a near-drowned, hypothermic kitten out of the loo at silly o'clock. (He did grow up to be the world's most relaxed cat ever...)

googoodolly Thu 02-Jul-15 13:43:34

I'm guessing it's the heat. Both my cats have been lying on the tiled floors at the moment because it's cooler than anywhere else.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to move them BUT be warned that cats are stubborn and she may well just move them back!

HenriettaBarnet Thu 02-Jul-15 13:46:06

I moved my cat and kittens when she had them in a very inconvenient place. She moved them back again one by one.

cozietoesie Thu 02-Jul-15 13:57:41

The famous Cheeky (a tortie of somewhat feisty disposition) decided when she had her kittens that she wanted to stash them in the top left shelf of my father's old Victorian double-height bookcase. This involved leaving her nice cozy greenhouse (and it really was good) and taking them - one by one - out of a greenhouse window, up and over the greenhouse roof, along the long ridge of our kitchen etc quarters, into my father's study by a window which was opened at the top by about 6 inches - at least 12 foot from the ground - and up to the top shelf of the bookcase which was itself about 10/11 foot off the ground.

We took all the kits back to the greenhouse but, sadly and not realizing true determination when he saw it, my father still left the top window open - and Yes. She did it all over again. In the rain, the second time.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for you therefore although I can imagine that she might well be thoroughly fed up with having another Mom and kits so close by. Have you got a nice cardboard box that you can line with some old material and leave enticingly somewhere?

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-Jul-15 21:58:33

Well she knows best I suppose. I'd imagine the heat made her do it too.

cozietoesie Thu 02-Jul-15 22:22:09

Absolutely - she'll be determind to achieve optimal conditions for the kits. And if she's too hot or they're too hot..........

Don't move them.. she will only move them back..or somewhere even more inconvenient! I tried that when Portia had hers and she then moved them to a totally daft spot which involved her carrying them one by one up our slippery spiral staircase.. she dropped one! (he was fine tho)

She knows best smile

Jux Fri 03-Jul-15 00:10:48

Put the kittens in an open topped box (short sides) to contain them and keep them safe. You can try putting them in another room, but I doubt it will work. Can you put some boxes around the house in cooler places which are more convenient to you? She will probably find the bathroom too noisy and busy for long and will be looking for somewhere quieter.

sashh Sat 04-Jul-15 09:49:29

As a child the cat had 2 litters (parents not the most responsible) the second litter all 'died' except one - ie taken to the vet.

The cat then removed the remaining kitten to the wardrobe in my parents bedroom, mum moved the kitten back to the nice cardboard box with a blanket lining she had given birth on, and the cat moved him back to the wardrobe.

After a cupld of days mum just gave up and the kitten lived there quite happily.

whatsinthename Mon 06-Jul-15 12:43:31

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 13:01:30

Well that's good news so well done. smile

Now all you have to do (all - Hah!) is find homes for all the kits!

Jux Mon 06-Jul-15 16:44:09

Ooh yes, pics please!

Our cat, 50+ years ago, would have several litters a year. She always moved the litters at least twice. We noticed that if she had more than 4 kittens on a litter, that she would often leave one behind, so my dad suggested that cats count thusly: "one, two three, lots". grin

This was in the days where everyone wanted at least one cat, so kittens were easy to find good homes for, long before feral cats became a problem and everyone had their cats neutered as a matter of course. Please don't flame me, I was a small child and had no say!

cozietoesie Mon 06-Jul-15 18:22:33

I had the 2015 version sounding off outside last night in the early hours. (She kept on and on with the 'I'm so beautiful, I'm so wonderful, I'm so etc etc .......) Seniorboy ignored her completely. smile

fuzzywuzzy Mon 06-Jul-15 18:29:51

If you're in the South east and looking to home the kittens we'll take a couple please.

whatsinthename Tue 07-Jul-15 23:10:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now