Sad sick cat. Lymphoma?

(6 Posts)
Getabloominmoveon Sun 28-Jun-15 20:40:11

Our 12 year old cat has been losing weight dramatically and is skin and bone. Previously a perky adventurer, he's barely got the energy to drag himself around the house. Vet did tests a couple of weeks ago and results are not conclusive, but it seems as though cat isn't absorbing vitamins etc, even through he is (barely) eating. More tests this week for lymphoma and poss ultrasound. However I'm not convinced- doesn't display symptoms described on Vet Google (vomiting, diarrhoea). No apparent distress, just wasting away sadly.
Anyone had this experience or any ideas of what could be wrong?

cozietoesie Sun 28-Jun-15 21:06:26

There are a lot of possibilities, Get, so I think that this is one for the vet and for proper testing. Poor lad - will he last through the week do you think? sad

mejon Sun 28-Jun-15 21:22:17

We had our gorgeous 14yr old puss PTS last Thursday as he was suffering from heart failure. He too lodt weight at an alarming rate and was skin and bone by last week. Vet initially tested his thyroid and kidneys but the bloods came back normal, so next was to scan his heart which unfortunately showed the damage. Unfortunately hf often doesn't present itself until it's too late and cats can be good at hiding problems. I hope this isn't the case with your cat and hope your vet can find out what's going on quickly.

Katnisnevergreen Mon 29-Jun-15 08:47:09

My pot little baby died 3 weeks ago if something similar sounding. He was 2 and dropped from 4kg to 2kg v quickly. Wouldn't really eat and had diarrhoea for a month or so. Weekly trips to the vet to be weighed and blood tested etc and nothing conclusive. They think as he was a rescued feral kitten that he had a weakened system from the off. I only had 18 months with him...I'm tortured by the fact I thought he was just losing his winter podge to begin with and didn't take him sooner. He had lumps in his stomach but was too weak for a biopsy and I didn't want his last few weeks to be in pain and recovering from a major op. He went in his sleep while I was at work sad

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 29-Jun-15 15:54:33

Lymphoma most commonly occurs in the gastrointestinal system causing vomiting and diarrhoea. However, it can occur in any organ in body so symptoms can vary widely. A malabosorption can be a sign of lymphoma particular diffuse lymphoma. Though I have had cats with only clinical sign being not eating having body wide lymphoma.

tabulahrasa Wed 01-Jul-15 15:18:22

My cat has lymphoma...there was a bit of extra vomiting (I find cats quite vomitty anyway compared to dogs) but not a huge amount, mostly she was just off and quiet and losing weight, so it's definitely a possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now