Are hairballs normal?

(4 Posts)
ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Sun 28-Jun-15 12:07:25

Ok, i know its something cats do, but how often is normal?

WizardCat is vomiting one every couple of weeks, is that ok? Is there anything i should be doing to help prevent them?

One of mine never vomited hair balls. One does ocassionally. And Portia generally does one a week! Mine are all long haired and she is definitely the best at grooming herself (we attempt to groom her but she hates it and she is never matted as she has silky fur) The vet gave me some paste (catlax!) to make sure she isn't constipated as she's an older girl now ..15.. and we have tried hairball formula dried food (she eats mostly wet) but I can't say it's made that much difference.

As long as Wizaedcat is generally well I wouldn't worry too much. I think cats are like humans in that some are pukier than others !

ASorcererIsAWizardSquared Sun 28-Jun-15 13:00:35

thanks Medusa, she's not long hair as such, but she's very fluffy, so not quite shorthair either, lol.

i might try and get a cat brush and see if it will reduce the amount she's swallowing through grooming!

Cheesypop Sun 28-Jun-15 17:47:17

I'm a bit worried about our boy, he's short haired and doesn't actually groom that much but he has hairballs every day or two. We've bought him anti-hairball dry food to see if that makes any difference. Our girl cat has a hairball every few months so there's quite a marked difference. Sadly neither of them tolerate a brush!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now