Benjamin has a big ear

(7 Posts)
BigPawsBrown Sun 21-Jun-15 21:11:54

Some of you may remember Benjamin, aka Six Dinner Sid who goes through phases of virtually living with our neighbours, who call him Pudding. They won't stop feeding him, but that's a separate issue.

I have been away for the weekend and the above neighbours texted me to say B had a lump on his ear, wasn't moving much off their pissing bed and was breathing fast. Was v stressed all day. DP got home last night at 8pm, checked him and he is himself, v active, is eating and drinking normally... But his ear is big.

It is about 1.5 times the size it should be, at the back, so the bulge where the v downy fur is is really large. He seems better re me touching it and we have bathed it with salt water, but does he need to go to the vets? We are both lawyers and getting time off is always a total nightmare.

peckforton Sun 21-Jun-15 22:11:55

Sounds like he either has an infection caused by a puncture wound whilst fighting or a haematoma due to ear mites and he has scratched it neither are life threatening but are uncomfortable for the cat, he does need to see a vet do they have an evening surgery?
If it is an infection it may well pop on its own as I had a cat who was always fighting and he would suddenly appear with what looked like snot on his coat which was an infected puncture wound that had burst. They need antibiotics usually.

RubbishMantra Sun 21-Jun-15 22:20:25

Just the outsized ear would have me running him to the vet. Paired with the fast breathing, even more so. Cats are masters in masking pain.

RubbishMantra Sun 21-Jun-15 22:27:05

Good point peckforton about the ear mites. Vet can do a quick swab test there and then, to ascertain if they're present.

BigPawsBrown Sun 21-Jun-15 22:31:11

He's my breathing fast. My neighbours are mad. His ear looks big but he's letting us touch it now, have bathed it in salt water. He's totally fine, roaming around the house wanting his dinner.

BigPawsBrown Sun 21-Jun-15 22:31:30

Not*

RubbishMantra Sun 21-Jun-15 23:17:28

Breathing fast or not, I'd be getting puss off to the vet. Best to be safe than sorry I reckon.

Cats are masters at masking pain. They will eat and purr when their back leg looks like a chewed up chicken wing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now