Mum cat not weaning her kittens

(15 Posts)
kirstyjf Sat 13-Jun-15 10:34:46

They are now 6 weeks old and show no interest in food at all! She should have started weaning them a couple of weeks ago and I'm unsure of why she hasn't. It's like she's still treating them like newborns, and hasn't taught them to use the litter tray either (although I've solved that problem and they are all very good now).
It's looking like I'm going to have to wean them myself but have not done this before so any advice greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance smile

Walnutpie Sat 13-Jun-15 10:36:18

They will wean when they are ready. Six weeks is very young. By eight weeks things will gave shifted, just wait and see. Put downs done tempting morsels and trust them.

kirstyjf Sat 13-Jun-15 10:47:58

Do u think so? I'm just a little concerned because this is her 2nd litter (long story) and with the first she was ever so good at teaching them everything but this time round she just seems content feeding them round the clock and other than that doesn't really interact with them much hmm. One of the kittens has a neurological condition which makes her seem slightly younger so I was worried that maybe mum is treating them all the same based on the poorly kittens needs? That's obviously just a wild guess and I'm probably being paranoid though grin

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 10:52:58

Have you tried putting out some real sloppy kitten food in a big shallow dish? (And I do mean sloppy - virtually soup is what you're aiming for initially with the additional liquid.) If Mum has an eat at it and the kittens see her doing that, it may provide the nudge they all need.

I'm afraid it might get messy - just be warned. Lots of kitchen towel around is a good idea. smile

Walnutpie Sat 13-Jun-15 10:56:14

I do think so, yes. She's done it before, and the kittens are maturing at their own rates.

Personally I'd put down something quite smelly for the kittens...liquidised tuna, for example. Their noses will activate toward food other than milk, which will help them to wean.

kirstyjf Sat 13-Jun-15 10:56:32

Not really sloppy no, but have been feeding mum kitten food for some meals with the babies around, they sniff at it then walk away and wait til she's finished before feeding from her! They're very patient grin
I will try that, thanks. Should I mix it with kitten replacement milk?

kirstyjf Sat 13-Jun-15 10:58:40

Mum had a dish of tuna yesterday and they even turned their nose up at that! But as u suggested liquidised tuna, it could be that it was too dry for them maybe. Thankyou

TheCowThatLaughs Sat 13-Jun-15 11:16:14

Maybe she's doing kitten led weaning? grin

RubbishMantra Sat 13-Jun-15 15:36:50

Mix up some kitten food with hot water from the kettle in a saucer. Wait until it's cooled down to body temp, then blob some on their mouths. Move to getting them to lick your fingers, gradually moving your cat-soup fingers closer to the saucer. They should then learn to lap it up themselves.

Best done on your lap, so an old towel will come in useful. Making it very soup-ey is key.

kirstyjf Sat 13-Jun-15 17:37:19

Thankyou, that is exactly what I've just done grin
Went to pet shop to buy kitten milk to mix in food as others suggested and the lady that works there advised to try kitten food soaked and mashed. Tried putting some in their mouths and they were not impressed!! But I will persevere grin, the only one that enjoyed it and then ate some from the bowl was the poorly kitten, I was so proud, lol!
Mums net gets a bad rep but u have all been so helpful, thankyou x

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 19:28:57

Mayne the poorly kitten isn't doing so well in the competition at the milk bar and is a bit hungrier than the rest? That's a minor success at ay rate. smile

favouritewasteoftime Sat 13-Jun-15 19:38:52

I'd say it's best to let mama cat judge the right time to wean. She will know when the kittens are ready.

cozietoesie Sat 13-Jun-15 19:56:04

I think that poorlykitten may lead the way on this one once the others see them tucking in.

RubbishMantra Sat 13-Jun-15 23:24:42

Kirsty, are you using a wet kitten food (pouches or canned) mixed with water as opposed to dry? Weaning kittens won't accept dry food at first, even if soaked. Animonda carny is a good food for kittens. But giving it a good old mash with hot water is most important.

Boiled egg yolks mixed with goats' milk are another good weaning food.

Good luck!

fiveacres Sat 13-Jun-15 23:26:29

I don't think mine had solid food until they were 8 weeks. In fact I'm sure they didn't because that was when they started pooing everywhere and I became slightly less enchanted with them! grin still loved them, of course!

They still had milk from mama cat until they were 12 weeks.

By the way ... mama cat adopted me and was already rotund in belly. Do get your puss cat spayed, won't you? flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now