first time kitten owner

(10 Posts)
CookiecutterShark Thu 28-May-15 11:43:32

We have just got two boy kittens. They're lovely and get on well together - curl up together to sleep smile But they're always either asleep or causing havoc - is this normal?

There's a lot of fighting, pouncing, high jumping and running around. They are young - 9 wks - and they've had a check up at the vet's which was fine. Also, one weed on the sofa this morning during one of these mad moments - over excitement?

Just looking for reassurance really. This is all normal, right?

SecretNutellaFix Thu 28-May-15 11:52:29

It's normal.

They do calm down a bit- much quicker when they get the chop I might add, so see how young your vet will be happy doing that op.

When my two (brother/sister) were that age they were being picked off the curtain rail on a regular basis- some days we didn't bother collapsing the step ladder. Every single ornament was moved to high accessible shelves and they are still there 12 years later. At nine weeks they are the equivalent of 4-5 year old children.

cozietoesie Thu 28-May-15 11:59:09

We once had two litter mates of that age who chased each other across the curtains. (I wouldn't have thought it possible even with heavy drapes if I hadn't actually seen it myself.)

It's normal. Are you playing with them a lot to use up all the surplus energy?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 28-May-15 12:01:13

Agree - normal. Our kitten is about 6 months now, and has quietened down a lot - still has the odd mad moment though.

CookiecutterShark Thu 28-May-15 12:32:27

Thank you. I thought it probably was, but you know, it's just crazier than I expected. They can be snipped from 4 months vet said. She recommends 6 months normally but I've two small dc so keeping doors closed through the summer hols won't really work. She said they just need to get to 2kg first. They remind me of those boxing hares you see! They haven't tried to scale the curtains yet though...

cozietoesie Thu 28-May-15 12:51:53

4 months is now the recommended timing for neutering if a cat is healthy, of an appropriate weight - and for male cats, doesn't have an undescended testicle if I recall? (I think they have to be delayed to 6 months but I'll stand to be corrected on that.) You might like to have a look at this for future reference.

I recall that Oneago's litter brother impregnated a female at the age of 5 months - they can be active little blighters.

Mitzimaybe Thu 28-May-15 12:57:41

Congratulations! They are absolutely gorgeous.

Yep, absolutely normal. IIRC at that age they were either "on" or "off" i.e. rampaging round full pelt, or completely sparked out asleep.

Climbing the curtains was a bit later than 9 weeks with mine, but it does seem to be a phase they go through. Also - beware if you have any toxic houseplants, as mine went through a phase of chewing the plants. Make sure they're well out of reach.

pilates Fri 29-May-15 12:22:40

They are so gorgeous and very normal.

They will calm down, but you do need to be constantly watching and safe guarding the house at this age.

SecretNutellaFix Fri 29-May-15 13:11:41

Mine used to scale the walls, until they got too heavy. And trying to get underneath everything to attack feet. Or sitting in shoes. Or fancying themselves as parrots, one on each shoulder and trying to beat each other up over my head.

RubbishMantra Fri 29-May-15 13:33:05

Aww, they're beautiful. Do they do the slappy paws thing to each other?

The thing is, after mad rampaging hooligan toddler kitten stage, they go through the Teenage Dickhead Stage of Development. My 1 year old's going through it now. He strolls about, paw outstretched, looking for things to knock over. Glasses full of liquid are favourite.

Good thing he's bloody adorable, he's having a snoozy cuddle with me as I type. (Gratuitous picture inserted)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now