What is catnip and why do cats like it??

(11 Posts)
Italiangreyhound Wed 20-May-15 17:34:18

What is catnip and why do cats like it??

Just that, please?

chockbic Wed 20-May-15 18:42:14

Pussy weed.

Little druggies.

gamerchick Wed 20-May-15 18:45:59

They just do... It's a part of the mint family I think.

We got plants to put in the garden and get cat visitors who come and rub all over the plants drooling. Funnily enough since getting the plants, I haven't had any cats shitting in the garden but watching them rub themselves all over it tickles my funny bone grin

Lunastarfish Wed 20-May-15 18:46:00

It's a plant. Not all cats love it (mine couldn't give a flying f) but I've seen others go crazy over it

RubbishMantra Wed 20-May-15 23:42:28

Yup, cat weed. Apparently it has a similar effect that LSD has on humans.

I grow a patch in my garden. MCat restricts his usage for special occasions. Little Monsieur's not arsed about it really.

They're both mad for the Kickeroo though, a toy that contains dried catnip. MCat hugs and kicks it while sniffing it, eventually passing out with it in his arms.

I sent off for a valerian toy for them once, and it stunk so much it had to be chucked into the garden. Like year old mouldy gorgonzola.

Italiangreyhound Thu 21-May-15 02:26:17

Thanks so much.

EBearhug Thu 21-May-15 02:44:39

Nepeta Also known as catmint.

FoxSticks Thu 21-May-15 03:50:17

Apparently it's genetic whether they get high on it or not.

Butterflywings168 Thu 21-May-15 03:55:59

Madame ButterflyCat had a catnip mouse toy...less kitty weed, more kitty crack...it made her unpleasantly manic.
Rubbish, ikwym as I have Nytol herbal which also contains valerian and also stinks of feet. Ew.

PolterGoose Thu 21-May-15 16:41:24

I think catnip is a member of the catmint plant family (nepeta). PolterCat loves it and often pops out for some after his dinner smile

TheoreticalOrder Thu 21-May-15 16:46:17

Our cat loves it. Planted a few different types of nepeta in the garden which after he licks it, he goes a bit skittish. Is v funny. Assume its what is in Dreamies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now