What to feed very skinny cat?

(9 Posts)
Lemon666 Sun 17-May-15 10:41:00

Hi, I have a 15 year old cat who has always been small and thin but he is now very skinny. All his bloods, ultrasound and other battery of tests were clear.

Has anyone managed to get weight on a cat. If so what did you feed them.

CMOTDibbler Sun 17-May-15 10:42:36

Would he like tinned sardines? The ones in oil are tempting and calorie laden. Or some scrambled egg?

chockbic Sun 17-May-15 10:50:26

When the old girl got ill, we fed her veterinary diet tins. Unfortunately, the name escapes me.

Anyway, if you warm it up, the lovely aromas will be released. Enticing puss to eat.

bakingtins Sun 17-May-15 10:54:36

I suspect chocbik is thinking of Hill's A/D which is high fat, high calorie, v palatable.

thecatneuterer Sun 17-May-15 11:12:30

Yes, I would agree with Hills A/D. It's a convalescent food

cozietoesie Sun 17-May-15 11:12:59

Or coming at it from the other way round - does he have a really cozy place to snooze away his afternoons? With a nice heat pad, say? If you can't get as many calories in as you'd like, you might at least be able to stop some of them getting out through eg shivering and pacing.

RubbishMantra Sun 17-May-15 14:54:37

Kitten food. It has a higher calorie content and more nutrients.

Stinkersmum Sun 17-May-15 14:56:12

I second kitten food.

cozietoesie Sun 17-May-15 15:02:13

I've found that since his eyesight deteriorated so very badly, my own old boy has felt insecure at his feeding station and now likes to be 'sat with' when he's eating. (And his weight is now stable which is good for an old cat.) I second all the suggestions above about types of food but you might also consider how he's getting it and whether the place/delivery best suits him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now