Dcat being PTS . I feel like judge, jury and executioner.

(8 Posts)
MeowImaCatfish Thu 14-May-15 12:18:46

DPs cats old, she's having fits or muscle spasms and I know it had to happen at some point... DP and his mum are heartbroken about it and so am I. I don't know how to explain to ds that she's going away and I suggested it to dp a few nights ago.. And I feel awful about it all. And now to top it all off I feel guilty for wishing she'd hurry up and die a few weeks ago (I know she's struggling and it's not fair on her to carry on.) can someone plz try cheer me up? Staying strong for DP but may have to have a little cry when he goes out later sad

You are doing absolutely the right thing for the cat - it sounds as if she has very little quality of life left, and it would be cruel to make her go on living.

It is the hardest decision we ever have to make for our pets - it's one I have had to make three times, for our cats, and it never gets any easier - so I can empathise with how you are feeling.

cozietoesie Thu 14-May-15 13:03:24

SDTG is right - it doesn't get any easier and you always feel rough at the time. The only consolation I can give you is that it's a darned sight better later on knowing that you did that right and loving thing to let an old friend go more easily than, perhaps, letting them struggle on and on in distress. I feel much easier in my mind about past animals that I let go in decent time than the one that I sadly didn't.

You might care to read this if you're concerned about talking to DS. I haven't had to use the service myself but other posters have found the leaflet and service useful.

MeowImaCatfish Thu 14-May-15 13:32:47

Thank you both.. I feel rotten sad ds is 2 and cats been hiding for last couple of weeks.. Urgh this is pants

RubbishMantra Thu 14-May-15 14:02:39

Tell him about Rainbow Bridge. I've attached the poem.

You're doing the right and kindest thing for her. flowers

RubbishMantra Thu 14-May-15 14:06:53

Sorry Meow, that one had impossibly tiny writing, so posting it again.

TheSilveryPussycat Thu 14-May-15 22:35:40

Just had my own DCat pts (see v recent thread) and know how you feel. It was a strangely digified process, quite gentle and I could stroke her as she slipped away.

It's the last kindness sad

Butterflywings168 Fri 15-May-15 01:34:32

Awww thanks I'm sorry, but as pp said you are doing the right thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now