I've been experimenting with homemade cat toys

(8 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Tue 12-May-15 21:50:59

Standard foil always goes down well, but 3 Tunnocks Teacakes wrappers squished together appear to be the cat equivalent of an ice cream van.

A washed avocado stone is also proving successful this evening (and challenging, as it's still slippery).

cozietoesie Tue 12-May-15 21:58:34

Newspaper 'swords' if you take a paper. Roll a couple of thicknesses diagonally into a tube and then curl one end over to make like a pirate's culass. Hold that like a sword and flick the other end about.They go daft for it.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 12-May-15 22:02:34

Great - I have last weekend's paper, will give that a try tomorrow.

Trying to broaden the PFB's cat's activities beyond the Flying Frenzy.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 12-May-15 22:03:34

Crisp packets squashed down into one of their corners to make a compact pyramid shape IYSWIM.

Our old cat used to play fetch with them, bringing them back and dropping them into your hand or lap to throw again.

Butterflywings168 Tue 12-May-15 22:09:11

grin good ideas
Cats Protection lady suggested feather (free picked up from around) tied to a bit of string. I have a bird phobia. Also, ew, that's not hygienic is it.
My pfb cat is coming home tomorrow. She has two toys, feathery thing on a stick and a mouse. Both cheap but homemade ideas are good smile

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-May-15 22:17:12

Milk bottle tops made of foil strung together on string was popular in the days before plastic milk bottles.

cozietoesie Tue 12-May-15 22:24:31

I always tire of bannister dib-dabbing before the cats do - unless you have a bungalow of course - and no making anything required at all!

chipshop Wed 13-May-15 16:55:30

We've just bought a juicer and our kitten LOVES the cardboard box it came in. It has a hole at one end just big enough for him to squeeze in and out of. I chuck things through the hole for him to fetch and if you dangle a toy in front of it when he's inside his paw emerges madly swatting away. Looks v funny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now