Brilliant alternative cat scratchers ideas please

(9 Posts)
IPeeInTheShowerOhYes Tue 12-May-15 11:20:40

Because my upholstered footstool is taking a battering. Can't screw anything on the wall as I rent. Small rooms so normal cat scratchers wouldn't fit.
Short of winding hessian string round the footstool does anyone have some good ideas to divert their attentions.

fenneltea Tue 12-May-15 11:28:50

You can buy small cardboard scratchers that don't take up much room, ours also loved scratching on the old fashioned coir doormats, so they served a dual purpose smile

thecatneuterer Tue 12-May-15 11:33:52

I was going to say cardboard scratchers too. They are more popular with my lot than the standard types.

www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cardboard_cat_furniture/449554?gclid=CPeSiqKAvMUCFQLlwgodnnsAvg

Like that. Although that's a fancy one. You can get plain ones without the balls and holes too.

IPeeInTheShowerOhYes Tue 12-May-15 13:01:20

They look ideal thank you. Unfortunately one of my cats seems to like pooing on coir doormats.

givemushypeasachance Tue 12-May-15 14:18:32

Mine liked the cardboard scratchers a lot when they were initially on house arrest - before they got out and started preferring the fence posts and decking! Sprinkling catnip on there helped to encourage them to use them.

I rent and experimented with attaching carpet to a bit of wall in the early days with some of those peel-off removable sticky things, two-sided velcro ones designed for holding pictures up. They supported a single carpet tile at cat-scratching height fine, even with scratching (though it was only lightly used - can't speak for intense abuse!) and should peel-off without harming the wall.

isseywithcats Wed 13-May-15 22:08:57

i have the willow cardboard scratcher from pets at home cost a fiver and bought cat nip spray for £8 to keep it smelling of cat nip, my lot love it , dosent take up much floor space and is more robust than it looks

RubbishMantra Wed 13-May-15 22:19:30

I made one myself, out of a square of MDMF(?) and a 5 foot post covered in carpet. they like a good ol' stretch when scratching. Cat yoga.

AnulTheMagnificent Wed 13-May-15 23:47:57

I have a cardboard scratch bed which was very well accepted by a cat that doesn't like cat beds or scratchers but does like boxes.

www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/cardboard_cat_furniture/315507

PolterGoose Sat 16-May-15 17:37:22

PolterCat uses a tall scratching post like this and one of these cat scratch sofa which has become a favourite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now