Cat Enclosure

(20 Posts)
MrsGrumps Sun 25-Jan-15 10:02:35

I live on a busy cut through road and I've already lost my darling boy on this road.

I'm remodelling my garden and putting up new fencing all around and would like to enclose my garden so my remaining cats can have free run of my house and garden but not get out.

Has anyone used any of these products who can comment?

www.katzecure.com/

purrfectfence.co.uk/default.asp

www.protectapuss.co.uk/cat-fences/

I've got a couple of months to make a decision but I want to be able to tell the fencing people to lay out the new fence to I have no issues installing whatever I end up using to secure the garden.

thecatneuterer Sun 25-Jan-15 12:38:37

I know someone who used one of them, but I don't know which. It looks like one of the last two (brackets and net attached to the fence). It's very successful.

gamerchick Sun 25-Jan-15 12:41:56

I'm building an enclosure attached to the window. I would prefer to get the fence done but someone keeps wrecking my gate.

Looks canny.

tangledzebra Sun 25-Jan-15 13:49:50

I've been looking at the katzecure. They are coming round this week to quote so I'll let you know. The lady where I got my two kittens had it in her garden and it looks really good and works!!! I imagine it will be quite pricey as we have a big garden.

MrsGrumps Sun 25-Jan-15 14:13:17

TCN, Glad to hear they work. Seems to simple to actually work which was/is my concern,

TZ, where are they based and I'd be interested to know if it is as expensive as the website indicates. Aesthetically I think it is the nicest but do two rollers really stop the cats getting out???

I'm so worried that it's all a sales pitch on the websites and they are not a effective as said. Time will only tell I guess.

xboxnovice Sun 25-Jan-15 14:19:02

Mrsgrumps I feel your pain, so sad for you at losing your darling boy sad we have lost three in the last year, so really don't want to let the two new girls out, thought the previous owner did. ( we rehomed 2 Burmese blue 2 year olds)

I'd love to do this but we have 200 foot long at the back and 80ft at the front, we are rural and back onto field but front a country lane. They are desperate to get out, and can open the doors, so we have had to be very astute and it is getting wearing!

tangledzebra Sun 25-Jan-15 14:19:44

Not sure exactly but I think they have salespeople in all areas. I had to wait two weeks for an apt as they are busy and I had to wait till they came to my area. I think there is a video on YouTube of the katsecure system and from what I have heard it is really effective but I don't think anything will be 100%. We have two Burmese and they are absolutely beautiful and so friendly so I would be worried about letting them out all the time so our plan is to let them use the garden when we are outside and not at night. We have three children in the house and in the summer the back door is always open and I just couldn't see how we could keep the cats indoors so we are hoping to make the garden as safe as can be so they can use it.

code Sun 25-Jan-15 22:21:46

We're going with protect a puss. Our garden isn't suitable for the rollers as its a nightmare mix of walls, hedges, loose fencing. They're basically building an enclosure around the whole garden except for the walls which will have the brackets and netting only. It's quite expensive, the hedges will grow through the enclosure so am hoping will camouflage it with time. I like the aesthetics of the roller type but you need fences all round so no good for us. I was also a bit sceptical about whether it would contain our Burmese cats as they are already mad climbers. Am hoping it works would be gutted to build basically a large tennis court to then have an escape. The chap said they've done hundreds without incident so let's see.

MrsGrumps Sun 01-Feb-15 20:46:55

TZ- Did you get a quote in the end? Was it as large as you feared? I'm kind of warming to that now out of the three...

tangledzebra Sun 01-Feb-15 21:03:46

Hi,
Yes the quote was expensive but the garden is not straightforward and all the fences need replacing. The guy that came was very lovely and I got a really good feel for the company. He seemed a really animal person and seemed to care. It is expensive though. They do several options though- ie fix your fences, supply and fit or just supply the parts. My garden is really big though. Need to get saving!!!

gamerchick Sun 01-Feb-15 21:05:30

Howay man give us a ballpark .. 3 numbers, 4?? grin

tangledzebra Mon 02-Feb-15 07:33:43

££££££. He even said to me that it is expensive but it works.

Ok to fix my fence alone was £2k.
Supply only was £2k supply and fit was £4k

But my garden is not straightforward we have tree houses which needed to be built around, summer house, a school at the back. Really not an easy garden to fit a system in.

gamerchick Mon 02-Feb-15 08:03:24

Jesus.. that is eye watering grin

Did he tell you how it deals with visiting cats? I've wondered as it's designed to stop cats getting out but does it also stop them coming in or will you end up emptying your garden of cats everyday?

patienceisvirtuous Mon 02-Feb-15 08:17:04

We are going to replace once of our conservatory windows and add one with a cat flap. We're then going to build a tunnel from cat flap into an enclosure. Will add pics...

patienceisvirtuous Mon 02-Feb-15 08:20:05

Into something like this, but a bit bigger. Would something like that work?

AngelsWithSilverWings Mon 02-Feb-15 08:30:25

My friend had the rollers fitted in her garden.

Ít took one cat a day to work out how to escape and the other four managed to jump over them within a week.

It cost an absolute fortune too! A complete waste of money.

She also gets foxes trapped in her garden as they can jump in but then can't get out so she has the sound of distresses foxes waking her up at night.

gamerchick Mon 02-Feb-15 08:54:48

We're building a custom built one going from a window and then full width of the garden so it's quite long parrot aviary style. Chicken wire embedded a couple of foot into the ground so nothing can dig under it and sheltered area at the bottom. It's going to cost a couple of hundred all told and some hard graft.

I like the idea of dudes coming to do it but thousands I think would hurt my head grin

tangledzebra Mon 02-Feb-15 09:29:18

He said that cats can't get in as they can't get a grip off the rollers. I like the idea of lots of cats just sitting waiting in the morning on the grass to be let out smile

Our issue is that we have the door open to the garden all day in the summer and the cats will be in and out so I wanted to give them access but also keep them safe. Any suggestions?

MrsGrumps Thu 12-Feb-15 16:03:01

I emailed katzecure but they have not answered, not a good start

ProtectaPet Wed 13-Jan-16 21:34:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now