New mother Cat driving me crazy

(25 Posts)
Blossomflowers Wed 03-Sep-14 12:12:52

Can anyone tell me why my cat is doing. So My lovely persian gave birth 4 weeks ago , all thriving, happy and content, feeding well, she is a great mother. But she has suddenly become very vocal, making strange meows especially @ night. She is coming into the bedroom and waking me up, also starting bringing kittens upstairs and putting under my bed. Just don't understand this, any ideas. Please, am becoming sleep deprived.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Sep-14 12:29:44

Sounds as if she wants to go out and party - and she's leaving the kits with you as a safe option. Have you seen her putting makeup on?

(Are you to have her spayed soon? eg as soon as the kits are weaned)

Blossomflowers Wed 03-Sep-14 12:51:16

Ha ha. She does not want to go out atm, when they are weaned she will be spayed. Wish she would go out is driving me nuts.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Sep-14 13:01:38

I'm afraid that it goes with the territory - and you've been lucky to have 4 weeks of peace and quiet. Some female cats come into heat very quickly after giving birth. You'll just have to grit your teeth and guard the doors and windows until it wears off. (And they can be real sly and determined about getting out so be on your guard.)

Glad she's to be spayed soon. but keep a close eye on her (as above.) Spaying should take care of any unwanted pregnancy but cats in heat can be very stupid and eg get themselves into the path of cars if there's a suitor across the road.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Sep-14 13:07:05

.....cats in heat can be very stupid and eg get themselves into the path of cars if there's a suitor across the road......

I sometimes feel I should post more on the Relationships board. wink

NewEraNewMindset Wed 03-Sep-14 13:13:53

Having witnessed my neighbours cat in heat it was disturbing, I felt like I was party to a sex show. I'm screwing my face up at the memory confused. Then she started shagging the other next door neighbours cat (well letting him shag her lol) and then they both got neutered and I could go out in the garden again grin

Blossomflowers Wed 03-Sep-14 13:15:48

Sorry but I do not believe she is on heat, I remember exactly what that is like. She is devoted to kittens and does not want to go out. Just being very vocal, there must another reason.

sunbathe Wed 03-Sep-14 13:19:13

Probably trying to tell you it's your turn to look after them! wink

WillowWoods Wed 03-Sep-14 13:20:10

Maybe she feels threatened by a Tom outside?

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Sep-14 13:25:02

4 weeks is about when they start leaving kittens more - she might just be getting fed up with them, it's pretty normal for them to have had enough and it coincides with when you can start giving them bits of food as well.

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Sep-14 13:25:37

giving the kittens bits of food, obviously you've not been starving the cat, lol.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 03-Sep-14 13:27:38

She no longer likes the site you choose for her and her kittens and has chosen under your bed as a better location.
She moves her babies to her preferred location ' you the staff keep moving them back'.
You are fighting a loosing battle.

cozietoesie Wed 03-Sep-14 13:30:20

I hear you tablula but:

....But she has suddenly become very vocal, making strange meows especially @ night.......

Sounds like a girl who wants something. grin

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Sep-14 13:40:48

She may well want something, lol, but it could just be - hoy, these things are annoying me now...

Blossomflowers Wed 03-Sep-14 13:52:07

She seems happy where they are but for some reason randomly bringing one up to bedroom, they all back in the same placemaybe that is it she wants me to look after them. Def not on heat, it is quite gross when they are. She likes to follow me everywhere I go.

WillowWoods Wed 03-Sep-14 17:00:49

If you mean that she's randomly bringing the same kitten up,there could be something wrong with it. If not,I'd make her a nest in you're room,until she's happy to stay downstairs.

Blossomflowers Thu 04-Sep-14 13:43:16

willow no different ones, they all are perfectly well, she was fine last night. Still making silly noises though

cozietoesie Thu 04-Sep-14 13:57:22

....Sorry but I do not believe she is on heat, I remember exactly what that is like. She is devoted to kittens and does not want to go out. Just being very vocal, there must another reason.....

I'm afraid I disagree on this one - she's changed after all. Given birth. I'd get some earplugs and book her visit to the vet.

cozietoesie Thu 04-Sep-14 14:02:07

PS -.......although....... any chance you might be pregnant yourself?

WillowWoods Thu 04-Sep-14 16:17:49

Yes, cozietoesiecould have a point. She may be bringing you live 'presents',instead of the dead mice that I was presented with when I was pregnant grin

WillowWoods Thu 04-Sep-14 21:43:21

Or the vet. She could be in pain. Don't ignore a Persian as they're quite delicate.

Blossomflowers Fri 05-Sep-14 11:18:23

willow no pain it is almost like she is talking to the kittens. They are starting to scamper around and I think fears she is loosing control, so cute. No bedroom visits last 2 days.
cozie to early to be spade as cannot leave kittens yet, she also is not going out as chooses not to so no danger yet of getting pregnant again

OldLadyKnowsSomething Fri 05-Sep-14 14:59:58

When my moggy had kittens and they were about that age, she took to hauling lumps of tinned cat food out of the bowl, dragging them into the hall and then calling her kittens to see what mama had bravely killed. It was quite a strange noise that she never made at any other time, I wonder if there's any connection to what your cat is doing?

noddyboulder Sat 06-Sep-14 21:06:17

My cat did the thing with the kittens - apparently in the wild they would give birth in one place, then as soon as the kittens were strong enough, move the nest to somewhere new that didn't smell of birth etc. so predators wouldn't sniff them out.

In my case, my cat moved everyone from the spacious hall cupboard that I'd cleared out for her... to my 4 month old ds' cot, complete with very active rolling baby in it. I am sure she reasoned that what was good enough for my offspring was good enough for hers confused She jumped right up over the bars with a kitten in her mouth - and she's only a little cat - it was quite a feat.

Anyway, in the end I built her a new home behind the kitchen door, which she seemed to accept... You just need to find her a new place to rear them.

VelvetEmbers Sat 06-Sep-14 22:36:04

Years ago we had 2 cats who had kittens within a couple of weeks of each other. We had nine kittens in the house (it was hell). Both mothers started bringing kittens upstairs and leaving them under wardrobes.

In the end DH built a huge pen in the kitchen that the kittens couldn't get out of but cats could. That did stop the wandering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now