ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Kids and having pets pts

(10 Posts)
LastingLight Tue 02-Sep-14 11:39:32

Sorry for all my negative posts but I need some advice. When you've had pets pts, were your DC's there? How old were they and what was the experience like for them? When our young cat went last week it was quiet and peaceful and I wouldn't have minded my DD seeing that. However I've read that sometimes there are muscle spasms, the bladder and bowels might empty etc. This I would not like her to experience. She might want to go with when we take the old boy and I don't know what to do.

How old are your DC's?
ime it is not a good idea to have young DC's with you as it can be quite distressing and is not always peaceful esp with cats as they sometimes dislike being restrained for the injection.

LastingLight Tue 02-Sep-14 11:52:49

DD is 12. Restraint won't be a problem, our cat is very docile.

chockbic Tue 02-Sep-14 11:53:48

Can you ask her but explain what might happen?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Sep-14 12:46:12

Bladder empties in about 70% of cases, but it's not explosive it just leaks out. Bowels much less often.
Muscle spasms happen in relatively few cases, however, quite often after the heart has stopped there are a couple of very deep almost gasping breaths.
Children your DD's age I give a full description of what is definitely is going to happen and also what may happen. I then ask them directly would they like to stay, it is their choice and there isn't a right or wrong answer.
Most preteens are actually very matter of fact and whilst sad quite pragmatic.
The late teens, however, often struggle to accept there are some things we can't fix and feel that we are choosing to murder their pet. This feeling is much, much more common if that haven't any previous experience of end of life.

LastingLight Tue 02-Sep-14 12:51:24

Thanks Lonecatwithkitten, that's very helpful.

Chockbic if we decide she may go if she wants to we will definitely prepare her as much as we can.

PolterGoose Wed 03-Sep-14 07:39:15

I am sorry flowers

Ds was 7 when he came with me to have our old cat pts, I had no choice, it was me and him home when we found her on the doorstep very injured after I assume being hit by a car, so we took her together and it was very calm and peaceful.

LastingLight Wed 03-Sep-14 08:07:41

DD has decided that she wants to go with to the vet but will leave the room when they give the injection. I made the appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

timtam23 Wed 03-Sep-14 20:55:59

Thoughts with you all for tomorrow & lots of chin rubs for Mozart

LastingLight Thu 04-Sep-14 07:36:45

Thanks timtam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now