My cat attacked by local cat

(7 Posts)
Zipitydooda Sun 31-Aug-14 23:05:11

Not sure why I'm posting really. I'm just quite upset.

There is a local big black cat that has been terrorising my (15 year old) cat. I don't know who the owners are.

Fri morning we realised that she had a huge wound on her side with several bite marks going really deep and huge area of fur missing. The vet then discovered a further hidden bite that had dead tissue beneath so she had to have an operation under general anaesthetic to remove and clean it all out.

She's ok but poorly and freaked out by the collar. And has a huge stitched up area on her side. hmm

We've ordered a new cat flap that only allows cats through with registered microchips as we think bully cat was coming into our house at night. Is there anything else we can do to protect her in future?

we are over £600 down from the cost of the operation, vet treatment and cat flap. Feel very sick at the cost of it all too.

Floralnomad Sun 31-Aug-14 23:12:19

Aside from keeping her in there is not a lot you can do . Are you certain the injuries are from a cat fight and not a dog or fox attack . I think I would be keeping her in at night in future as this is when most problems occur. Hope she feels better soon .

Zipitydooda Sun 31-Aug-14 23:18:52

The vet said it was almost definitely a cat. We do live in an area with lots of foxes but this one cat comes to our cat flap and miaows in the evenings and it really scares our cat. We have seen the other cat come in to our house in the past.

Floralnomad Sun 31-Aug-14 23:23:05

I'd just keep her in then ,especially as she is quite elderly .

yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo Sun 31-Aug-14 23:26:39

I have a black cat that is a real fighter. He is always coming home scratched and battered. One memorable occasion resulted in vets bills totalling £4500 - i think you got off quite lightly! shockgrin

He still goes out and tries to beat up other cats!

yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo Sun 31-Aug-14 23:30:14

Sorry that sounded like i was gloating that he caused £4500 worth of damage! - he didn't! He got in a fight and almost died and that was the vets bill to save him!

Then as soon as i let him back outside after he was all recovered it took him approximately 30 mins to find a cat to fight with. I climbed over a fence and dragged the sod home by his scruff!

- all this trouble and he was neutered at 5 months!

Pipbin Mon 01-Sep-14 00:18:31

We have one that does that to out baby girl cat.
He only picks on her, not next doors cat. We don't know who he belongs to but we now a a fully charged super soaker at the ready for any time we see him.
DH - pacifist, vegetarian, buddhist sensibilities (even flies get asked politely to leave) would actually got for the ultimate solution with the bastard that is picking on his baby girl cat.

We spent even more and got the Sureflap pet door. It only lets in your cat using the chip and also has a timer so I can set her a curfew as I like to keep her in at night. (seems lazy as I could just lock the cat flap but to get to the cat flap I have to go out the backdoor, down some steps and into a separate room, our house is odd.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now