The vet has just saved me a fortune! Sharing.

(9 Posts)
Hurr1cane Sun 31-Aug-14 13:13:28

I buy my 4 cats very expensive cat food, the long haired one needs this to keep his fur all shiny and in good condition. They also need dry food down all the time because (long haired cat again) needs to see there's food there all the time because he was badly neglected and has food issues.

they get 1/4 can of wet food each a day as well. They can't have too much of this because fat rescue cat will gorge herself on this and she still has a few ounces to shed.

So I was spending a fortune on the stuff, every week, when I don't have much money.

I went to the vets for their check up last week and told her what they were fed and she said "well, just buy a big plastic container with a lid, mix one bag of the expensive food in with one bag of the cheaper (but still good quality) food in, and you'll get more food for your money and they'll still have enough vitamins.

Genius!!!

Nice if it works. It wouldn't with my Portia as she can suss out the tiniest change and rejects the lot!

BlackWings Sun 31-Aug-14 13:23:13

Have you tried the online pet supermarkets? I can get my cat's food cheaper on those than I can through my work at cost price!

AlpacaMyBags Sun 31-Aug-14 13:31:19

You could also try amazon for your cat food. Personally I wouldn't feed the cheap stuff, even mixed with the expensive food - cheap cat food is full of grain and filler.

Hurr1cane Sun 31-Aug-14 13:45:27

It's not dirt cheap stuff, not go cat or anything, it's a cheaper version of the expensive stuff. Mine aren't fussy with foods, so I don't have that issue. I haven't looked online but my DS has issues with deliveries and people knocking on the door because of his autism so it isn't really an option here.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 31-Aug-14 20:14:07

You find most professionals try and suggest ways of doing things cheaply.

Not that anyone listens usually.

QOD Sun 31-Aug-14 20:17:39

I mix incredibly expensive food with purina (mid range) and go kat (McDonald's for cats wink ) so he has a mix of 3 .... He likes the McDonald's but now gets a healthy mix and enjoys his grub, he's not keen on the dear stuff

Hurr1cane Sun 31-Aug-14 20:31:26

QOD I have the opposite! Mine love the expensive stuff and aren't too fussed about cheaper stuff, although from your description it is the mid range stuff that I call the cheap stuff.

I bought some go cat once, I was literally on my arse at the end of a bad month and thought it wouldn't matter for a couple of days, they hardly touched it!

You'd think they'd be bloody grateful for anything seeing as I ended up with all of them under duress, because I couldn't see them being neglected then going into a rescue or PTS. Spoilt little shits grin

Itsfab Mon 01-Sep-14 20:22:16

We spent £66 on the biggest bag of biscuits and the blinking cats turned their noses up having eaten it happily for months grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now