I'm picking up my new kittens today!

(15 Posts)

And I feel like this grin grin grin grin

I have the spare room set up as 'their's.. two litter trays, food, cat actviity centre and all baby proofed so that for the first week they will be upstairs in that room and our bedroom only (have a gate blocking off the rest of the house for now) I will not introduce them to Portia until they have been there a good while and I have feliway plugged in downstairs for her and a load of Dreamies for her.. the living room will remain her space only for as long as possible.

She never liked Morph but tolerated him but I would love her to accept these better so will take it very very slowly. Any other tips welcomed as it is 13 years since I introduced a new cat to her!

Picture fest to follow :D

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 29-Aug-14 11:22:04

Sorry no tips as I always play it by ear (foster situations) seems like you have things pretty much sorted.

It's very exciting, what are their names?

Don't laugh... we have pretentious names for our cats...

We had Portia and Morpheus.. and so needed to continue either a Shakespearian OR a God theme. I couldn't find any goddess names I liked for the girl baby so we decided to go for...

Oberon (Obie) who is a ginger boy Maine Coon and Ophelia (Oafie) who is a brown tortie MC girl . They are 12 weeks old smile

chockbic Fri 29-Aug-14 12:14:00

Perhaps not to forget lots of attention for Portia, as she's bound to feel slightly miffed and left out at first.

The kittens will probably play with each other. Although there might be the occasional leap onto poor old Portia!

Have fun with them, there's bound to be lots of laughs smile

Staywithme Fri 29-Aug-14 12:27:54

Get a wee damp cloth and gently rub the kittens' cheeks with it so their scent goes onto it. You then put treats for the older cat on it and this way she associates their scent with good things. Do the same between Portia and kittens. Bty I love the names. I made the mistake of letting the kids name my cats. I now have six members of the Simpsons. sad grin I wanted to call them all cat but in different languages. I know that's even sadder. blush

enriquetheringbearinglizard Fri 29-Aug-14 15:28:44

Medusa I'm loving the idea of you standing at the back door calling out their names smile

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 29-Aug-14 20:52:49

Oh my, two torties in one house?.

cozietoesie Fri 29-Aug-14 21:04:59

She'll be deep in kittenness, Fluffy. We'll be lucky if she's back within a week! smile

They are home.. currently invesigating 'their' room and ours (the only two they can get into) They are nervous of course but have chased a peacock feather and I managed to capture girly for a cuddle and got a baby purr smile before she felt the need to escape. Boy baby has had a little bit of food but I don't think girly has yet.. but it's there for when they feel more relaxed. I want to spend every second with them but probably they need a bit of space to get their bearings!

The bad news is... although they are officially Oberon and Ophelia.. somehow they have been instantly christened Dill and Parlsey shock grin

Dill happens to be the name of DS1's best mate and is also ginger......

I need to sleep in their rom with them tonight don't I????

PenisesAreNotPink Fri 29-Aug-14 22:36:15

You are not allowed to post again without pictures envy

I need kittens

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 29-Aug-14 22:36:40

Yes. Yes you do.

I locked ours in the kitchen overnight on his first night. I'm a horrible owner though.

BerylStreep Fri 29-Aug-14 22:42:17

Picture please.

Dill is not a good name for a cat. Too many opportunities for dildo jokes.

What about Basil instead, staying on the herb theme?

cozietoesie Fri 29-Aug-14 22:51:05

I took Firstcat back to bed with me after only an hour of having him. (It was my birthday morning and I'd risen very early. He curled into the crook of my elbow and promptly fell asleep.)

Set the seal on all my future relationships with cats. smile

(Of course you all have to spend the night together !)

crazynanna Fri 29-Aug-14 23:03:11

Well I slept with Poppy the first night .
Now this is the nightly routine

chockbic Sat 30-Aug-14 14:42:45

Where are the pictures? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now