Am I feeding kittens enough?

(7 Posts)
30ish Thu 28-Aug-14 10:09:28

Two BSH kittens, 19 weeks old, usually a sachet each of Royal Canin in the morning and evening, water and dry food all day.

Is this enough? It would seem that it is according to the food packaging but they just seem so hungry.

They hover around the kitchen waiting to be fed whenever I am preparing food and practically trip me up whenever I go into the utility room where their food bowls are.

My DH and I have just realised that he is feeding them breakfast when he gets up at 6am and then I feed them again at 9ish (school holidays). Which means that some days, they are wolfing down an extra sachet of food.

Thanks.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 28-Aug-14 15:19:46

I'd feed them more, pet obesity is a problem but these kittens are growing really, really fast & that takes calories.

Our cat has 4 pouches a day plus biscuits. But only a tablespoon on the side of the wet food or he won't touch them.

30ish Thu 28-Aug-14 18:50:30

Thank you for your reply. I was worried about feeding them too much but they are just gobbling it down.

You're right, in the three weeks that we've had them they've grown so much.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 28-Aug-14 19:05:42

When they are adults you can limit their food (if you dare) but kittens use lots of energy up.

I got virtually mugged by fluffy cat as a kitten every time I went towards the kitchen. I called that miaow the bowl empty miaow.

He doesn't use that call anymore.

chockbic Thu 28-Aug-14 19:08:13

Do you feed them any fresh food?

fackinell Thu 28-Aug-14 19:20:55

Mine are 8 and 2, I pretty much demand feed and they only eat what they need. Cats tend to eat for fuel, not comfort. Both are a healthy weight.

30ish Thu 28-Aug-14 20:10:10

chockbic what do you mean by fresh? I've given the Aberdeen Angus mincemeat but other than that, no. I'm very open to suggestions though. These are our first family pets so we are very inexperienced.

Thank you for all your replies, I feel better now! I don't want the kittens to grow into unhealthy cats but I also don't want the poor things to starve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now