11 week old kitten just wants mum's milk

(4 Posts)
LoveIsAnOpenDoor Wed 27-Aug-14 19:28:03

We adopted an 11 week old kitten and his mum last week. He refuses to eat any cat food (we've tried different types and brands to see if we can find something he likes) and just feeds from his mum. I'm getting quite worried as surely he should be eating solids and be fully weaned by now? The person we adopted them from told us he was on solids but just nursed occasionally for comfort.

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 19:34:47

Gosh, sorry to post with nothing useful but this sounds quite unusual.
Could you try to tempt her away with something warm and liquidy? When I found a lost kitten I found whiskers mashed up with warm water went down a treat. She was too young to chew the meat but LOVED sucking on the meaty water. Fed her from a tea spoon and then a syringe.

RubbishMantra Wed 27-Aug-14 20:08:35

Agree with above advice. Also, have you taken him to a vet for a check-up? Ask them to check inside his mouth for any abnormalities of the palate, and also his teeth.

happygardening Thu 28-Aug-14 08:37:42

We rescued a 5/6 week old kitten last year our vet advised little tiny bits of kitten food wet or dry in warm "kitten" milk gradually increasing the amount of kitten food. I was told to put it on the end of my finger in the beginning. Initially she just drunk the milk but as she became used to the taste she started eating the food.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now