Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

My cat is missing SADFACE

(27 Posts)
BustyDeLaGhetto Tue 26-Aug-14 15:42:01

sad

My cat was last seen Sunday morning. DD and I were out all day Sunday and stayed at a friend's overnight. He has not been back since, nor eaten his food. We have knocked on neighbour's doors, checked sheds etc. Contacted local vets, shelters, put up posters. Anything else we can do?

He is chipped and neutered and despite being a pedigree is getting on in years and only has one eye so not theft worthy. Very friendly, very vocal. I miss his meow. It has been raining here for days. Where should I be looking?

msrisotto Tue 26-Aug-14 15:49:40

Aww i'm sure he's probably taken shelter in someones house!

My sister lost her cat and found her stuck in the loft of a house/building site. Ask neighbours to check sheds and so on.

chockbic Tue 26-Aug-14 15:51:34

There's been quite a few gone missing over the summer.

They do get their wandering legs on.

Can you go out this evening with a torch and check for eyes?

crazynanna Tue 26-Aug-14 15:55:05

I, too, bet he's sheltering from the rain

BustyDeLaGhetto Tue 26-Aug-14 15:55:29

chockbic CHECK FOR EYE. He lost the other in a fight grin

Nope, can't get out this eve as have little DD in bed and it's just us two. Have walked all over listening for his siamese wail but can't hear him. He is nicely attached to the house snd doesn't usually wander so am concerned he is stuck somewhere sad

BustyDeLaGhetto Tue 26-Aug-14 15:57:03

When you say 'sheltering' do you mean in someone's home or say, a shed or garage? Can't understand why he hasn't been home for food if the latter

crazynanna Tue 26-Aug-14 16:01:26

A local young fox has been sheltering in my old upside down shelf unit which I dumped outside my back door for the last 2 days. And no sign of him shifting in this continuous downpour

LoopyLa Tue 26-Aug-14 19:52:17

Aww lots of sympathy & tea from me - my boycat has been missing 17 days now sad I've done several neighbourhood walks, canvassed the local area with a few hundred leaflets, etc etc but no luck yet. I try not to imagine the worse but girlcat is really missing him sad

BustyDeLaGhetto Tue 26-Aug-14 20:46:11

Thanks, all. I hate the waiting and not knowing. Have postered up nearby and will give it a couple of days before going further afield with some flyers.

Loopy Big hugs to you. Have been reading on old threads that you should empty the contents of your hoover on your lawn because it provides a familiar smell to lead them home if they're lost, but haven't tried that yet, partly because it sounds like crazy talk. I'm worried the heavy rain has made it harder for him to find his way back if he has wandered away.

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 14:31:51

Just had a call from someone who had seen my lost cat poster. One eyed siamese spotted in the garden of someone a few streets away who has 'form' for feeding and 'taking in' cats. Rushing there now but still an hour away. Hope I get him home sad

cozietoesie Wed 27-Aug-14 14:35:06

Good luck. It surely must be him.

valrhona Wed 27-Aug-14 14:45:11

Oh good luck Busty. Fingers x'd you find him

chockbic Wed 27-Aug-14 15:37:13

+ve vibes for the one eyed wanderer smile

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 16:20:21

He's home! So pleased I put those posters up. Found him at the house of an old lady and felt a bit bad taking him away from her. He was quite far from home, over a few main roads. No idea how he got there but he responded as soon as he heard my voice. On phone so can't attach photo but he is purring away on my lap smile

ProfYaffle Wed 27-Aug-14 16:22:22

Yay! Glad he's home. Posters are always worth it, we got our cat back via flyers and facebook selling pages.

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 16:22:34

Oh that is such good news!!
I've often wondered what would happen if the finder refused to hand them over!
Glad he is back.

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 16:43:31

Catkisser that worried me too. I was considering taking his adoption papers down there or showing her the hundreds if pictures on my phone. I was anticipating a mighty stand off.

cozietoesie Wed 27-Aug-14 16:51:18

Glad he's back. smile

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-Aug-14 17:03:48

Phew! He lives an eventful life doesn't he?.

crazynanna Wed 27-Aug-14 19:20:38

So gladsmile
I saw a "missing cat" poster this morning and have seen a looky likey cat in our row of gardens, so I called the number and said if I saw him again I would call.
Came home this afternoon, and the cat I have seen was on NDNs garden table (who are away), do I snapped a photo and sent it to the lady.
Lady messages saying she found her boy today, but my photo is a real replica of him. She was very grateful
Question is... Who is the cat next door? It's not their cat, and he has been on the table for hours

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 21:31:04

Fluffy He certainly does. Ironically, this is meant to be his retirement home after months of ill treatment by other animals. This was meant to be his safe house. THE IDIOT.

He is sleeping and sleeping and I can feel the knobbly bits of his spine but he is not in overally bad shape. Question relevant to my interests: His fur feels 'dry' as it did when we brought him home from the shelter. Does anyone know if this is a stress thing? He was lovely and soft when he went missing.

crazynanna Wed 27-Aug-14 21:32:46

Could the dry fur be because of the probable exposure to heavy rain?

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 21:33:17

crazynanna funnily enough my boy was found sleeping in a neighbour's garden too. A shame you couldn't reunite him/her with it's owner but high five for calling, I was so grateful to get the call today.

Maybe contact local vets/shelters? I was looking on the Missing Pet database last night for Maui, maybe have a search by area to see who is missing? He looks like a lovely tab.

BustyDeLaGhetto Wed 27-Aug-14 21:34:19

crazynanna he was like it when we brought him back from the shelter. It had no softness, felt almost coarse. After a few weeks with us it really softened up. Isn't it odd?

soaccidentprone Wed 27-Aug-14 21:43:31

Probably to do with the cat not grooming, then when feeling safe and secure, they start to groom again, and get rid of the loose undercoat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now