How do you know when you've got enough cats

(7 Posts)
HighlighterPencil Sun 24-Aug-14 08:39:55

Currently have 6 - all rescues. Have a fairly large house and can afford food, vets fees etc. My teenagers are all cat people.

But wondering what's the right number to stop at (for us) - worried about being viewed as a mad cat woman by the neighbours and whether wanting this many cats is hightlighting me as needy (though pretty sure I'm not that needy).

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 24-Aug-14 09:14:04

You can have too many?.

cozietoesie Sun 24-Aug-14 09:25:53

Well TCN has over 20 as far as I know - although she does volunteer for a rescue. I reckon you're an amateur. grin

cozietoesie Sun 24-Aug-14 09:26:53

Sorry - TCN is thecatneuterer.

Indeed - I would say as many as you can afford is fine, as long as they're not too overcrowded (I can fit 20 odd comfortably in a standard London terrace house - and I currently have an extra 10 foster kittens in my spare room) and you have a garden. Unfortunately there is an excess of cats over homes, meaning thousands get put down every month, so anything you can do to help the situation has to be a good thing.

I have so many not because I want to have that many, but because they need a home. So it's not me or you that is needy - it's the cats.

As for being seen as a crazy cat lady - well I really don't give a shit. (Although I do try to avoid the stereotype stuff such as lots of cat ornaments and clothes with pictures of cats on).

HighlighterPencil Mon 25-Aug-14 14:29:34

Thanks TCN

I really don't give a shit - This will be my new mantra, especially when my neighbour's mouth starts going all twitchy when she notices the latest addition. I try to keep to an all black tribe to confuse her smile

Kerberos Tue 26-Aug-14 07:53:02

The correct number of cats is N+1 - where N is the number of cats currently owned.

This is the recently agreed rule in our house. N=3 at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now