Cat scratching everything and meowing all the time

(7 Posts)
AndThisIsTrue Wed 20-Aug-14 09:33:10

My big boy cat has always been quite high maintenance but over the last few years he has started scratching at every door in the house especially the front door. He also meows a lot at night, this started when DS arrived as he cries a lot during the night and the cat doesn't like it when I am in the room with DS. I am worried he is unhappy? He is an indoor cat and always has been. DH thinks we should rehome him somewhere he can go outside. What do you think?

cozietoesie Wed 20-Aug-14 09:34:55

Is he neutered, And ?

AndThisIsTrue Wed 20-Aug-14 10:24:06

Yes he is, we hoped it would calm him down as he was a little terror as a kitten but it didn't. He calmed down alot when we got our other cat in terms of biting and scratching us but he now does the scratching carpets and meowing instead.

AndThisIsTrue Sun 24-Aug-14 09:31:28

Bump

chockbic Sun 24-Aug-14 10:07:45

He does sound as if he is stressed.

What about trying Feliway?

AndThisIsTrue Sun 24-Aug-14 12:26:24

We have the spray but it doesn't seem to do much, can't use the diffuser as it triggers my asthma. He woke DS up twice last night with his meowing, I just don't know what to do with him!

RubbishMantra Sun 24-Aug-14 15:46:27

Try tiring him out during the day with interactive toys like laser pointers and Flying Frenzy. As well as tiring him out, the interaction with you should be beneficial to him.

You could also try a short course of Zylkene, just to get him back into the cycle of feeling calm and relaxed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now