Can I use Bob Martin & Frontline at the same time?

(10 Posts)

I have Bob Martin Spot On Flea and Tick Treatment and Frontline. 2 cats requiring treatment - can I use both together? I've used Bob Martin so far and it's not done a great deal...

chockbic Tue 19-Aug-14 15:46:56

Bob Martin has bad press around its use.

No. Bob Martin used to kill cats. They've recently changed to using Fipronil as the main ingredient, which is the same as Frontline. If you use both you'll overdose them.

However fleas are becoming resistent to Fipronil, so neither will work very effectively. You really need either Advantage (which can be bought without prescription), Advocate, Stronghold or Broadline. But never use more than one at a time of anything.

chockbic Tue 19-Aug-14 15:55:20

Right I didn't know that.

Kewcumber Tue 19-Aug-14 15:59:14

I alternate Fipronil and Advantage and I understand you can shorten the time between treatments is you do that (3 week rather than 4) though I'm not sure about that.

Make sure you treat the house at the same time otherwise you're wasting your time.

I've just realised you mean one for one cat and one for the other? That's OK I suppose (as long as you have the Fipronil Bob Martin and not one containing permethrin - which is the dangerous stuff). You'd be better off with one of the other treatments I mentioned though.

OK, so will save the Frontline then. Thanks all. Am hoping Bob Martin formulations have changed?!? shock

So is there any other flea treatment I can use alongside Fipronil?
Am also using Indorex spray around the flat.

Also *stupid question alert* I am right to just massage it into their fur, aren't I?

You can read the ingredients on any product. If it contains permethrin then bin it.

I'm not sure what you mean about using something alongside something else. Do you mean using one thing on one cat and another thing on another? That shouldn't be a problem. Use any of the products I mentioned above, but don't use two products on the same cat at the same time.

And no, definitely no massaging! You part the fur to reveal a patch of skin at the back of the neck and dot the product onto the skin.

Oh god, I'm glad I asked. I am a shit cat owner!

Thanks for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now