Do you cook homemade foods for cats?

(11 Posts)
DogCalledRudis Sun 17-Aug-14 15:20:15

Just interested, i got two little cookbooks last week -- for dogs and for cats.
Our princess loved fishy frozen yoghurt and a pate.
Do you ever do anything homemade?

SunbathingCat Sun 17-Aug-14 15:22:06

I haven't done, but I am intrigued about the cookbook now and will get one for my little cats. Bet they will be happy little purrers!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 17-Aug-14 15:22:16

God no - iams all the way.

They totally turn their noses up at anything that isn't iams or mouse/rabbit that they've hunted.

DogCalledRudis Sun 17-Aug-14 15:33:37

My cat (rescue) was first started on purina gourmet, then transfered to Burns, which she doesn't enjoy that much. But she still likes her real meat and fish, also junk food (crisps and popcorn).

CatKisser Sun 17-Aug-14 15:35:54

Cat cook book?? Wow!!!
I've cooked scrambled eggs for my cat Scabbers once - he had just been neutered and the vet suggested it in place of normal meat. He liked it actually but don't know if I could be arsed to cook for them regularly.

PureMorning Sun 17-Aug-14 15:38:39

No she just gets tinned food everyday.

I will give her srambled egg,fish and chicken if we are having some.
Shes also partial to pasta,chips and marmite toast

DogCalledRudis Sun 17-Aug-14 15:41:45

Book shop closing down, lots of books almost for free... Cat and dog cookbooks were 10p each.

My mum has 2 dogs, she cooks for them every day, as rice+chicken is cheaper than any high-end foods, and supermarket foods they either don't eat or get diahorrea

In a way I do. I was put in touch with a local kebab shop that has about three stone (not an exaggeration) of chicken (just the meat - no skin or bones) to dispose of every Monday. I think they have to pay for it to be disposed of as commercial waste. So instead I take it off their hands.

This means that Tuesdays are spent in a mammoth chicken boiling/cooling frenzy. I also cook rice in the chicken water. I then bag it all up and deliver it to the rescue. I do keep some back for my lot though. It's very good for cats with sensitive stomachs for example.

CatKisser Sun 17-Aug-14 15:50:30

That's amazing! Lucky rescue cats!

I know! I can't understand why they have so much waste. It's shocking. If all other kebab shops are the same just imagine the number of poor hens that are being killed just to go to landfill (you can tell I'm a veggiesmile ). I'm tempted to go round a few more kebab shops to see if I can get the same thing going with them, but then I'm not sure I could really cope with any more. It feels like I'm trying to dispose of a body every Monday/Tuesday as it is grin

Floop Sun 17-Aug-14 16:00:42

Nah, I can't be arsed. They get cat food, and anything suitable for them in the fridge that might be going out of date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now