Help - just had to rescue seven week old kittens and will need to cage them

(4 Posts)
morningpaper Mon 11-Aug-14 23:30:05

Can't see any option - neighbour is v. poorly and has asked me to take his 7 week old kittens.

They are siblings (obv) and lovely but I have an open-plan house made of Very Hard Surfaces and an open staircase that is almost fatal to anyone under the age of 20 and over the age of 40, so will deffo not be good for kittens until they are used to it.

I have a two-story wooden guinea pig cage. Can I keep them in that overnight / until they have mastered the stairs????

I wouldn't keep them in there long term, but overnight yes.
We had an open staircase (spiral.. deadly!) in my first house and our cat managed to drop one of her kittens down it.. it was fine. (We didn't intend her to have a litter I might add.. she came in to season and escaped, and we couldn;t bear to have them aborted!)

I reckon if you have them downstairs tomorrow and keep an eye on them they will be fine.

morningpaper Tue 12-Aug-14 08:11:43

Well, I didn't sleep all night for worrying but they were fine. At least, I didn't hear anything, and I had all the doors open so that I could. Got up early to let them out to play and they are now chasing each other and trying out the staircase. They actually seem to quite like the hutch so I am feeling better about it. I will probably keep them in it if I need to leave them unsupervised for the next day or two until I am confident they can manage the stairs.

I have put the hutch under the stairs so that if they fall through they will land on the wooden roof and not the hard tiles five feet below the hutch!

Thank you!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 12-Aug-14 08:39:21

Put a folded up single duvet on top of it, a smart price one would do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now