Blue eyes

(13 Posts)
JustAnotherYellowBelly Sun 10-Aug-14 13:47:41

Continuing with the MN eye colour trend...

I have a 20 week old kitten. She's perfect, black with light green eyes. So I'm not looking for another kitten any time soon! Before the kitten I'd never really been around cats before so we're learning as we go...

Point of the post:
Just wondering what the darkest cat you can have while still keeping the blue eyes?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 10-Aug-14 14:01:40

Siamese? Or another oriental breed?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 10-Aug-14 14:27:04

The right hand cat in this picture has blue eyes, as you can see he is really very dark.

cozietoesie Sun 10-Aug-14 16:56:16

Some of the very dark seal point Siamese/other breeds with the Himalayan gene will have blue eyes. In their older age, those cats can be (mostly) very dark brown almost.

RubbishMantra Sun 10-Aug-14 17:32:30

The blue eyes in colour-pointed cats such as Siamese are because these cats are a type of albino. My cat's eyes glow red in the light, instead of green, like most cats. They're born off white, and the points develop as they mature. So unlikely for a dark solid coloured cat to have blue eyes.

However, I seem to recall somebody on here has a half Siamese tabby who has inherited the blue eyes, but not the colour-pointing.

JustAnotherYellowBelly Mon 11-Aug-14 10:19:56

So I won't have my Celtic cat...
Thank you all for the replies smile

isseywithcats Mon 11-Aug-14 12:48:58

my blue is half siamese and half tabby feral domestic, he has blue eyes and lynx stripe markings, he also has the siamese trait of changing colour according to the weather he goes darker in the cold weather and lighter in warm weather, he also has the siamese eye condition of nastigmus where his eyes flicker from side to side so i dont know how good his eye sight actually is, this is blue

cozietoesie Mon 11-Aug-14 12:58:02

He's a handsome boy, issey.

isseywithcats Mon 11-Aug-14 20:45:16

he is cosie everyone loves him and says what a georgous boy he is , hes also the calmest laid back cat ever

Cats of the breed Ojos Azules have blue eyes. This is a dominant gene and isn't related to coat colour (as in pointed cats or those with the white-masking gene) so in theory could result in blue-eyed cats with any coat colour.

cozietoesie Tue 12-Aug-14 08:43:12

Thanks, Gerund - interesting. All the OA kits who have photos up on the web seem to be brindled coat I think?

I've only seen one photo and it's a ginger tabby. Not sure what brindled means in cat terms - another word for tortoiseshell?

splendide Tue 12-Aug-14 11:55:30

Here's a black and white one with blue eyes - the littler one in front is my cat (from the same litter, she's teeny) and she has yellow eyes.

I think their dad might've been at least part Siamese as I have never known a normal moggy to be so chatty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now