I've been adopted by a stray cat while on holiday.

(23 Posts)
fourforksache Tue 05-Aug-14 08:54:33

I'm in Ireland, going back to UK Saturday. I've checked with the locals near me, no one can tell me who the owner is.

Should I just leave the cat outside when I go or take it to a vets or something?

fenneltea Tue 05-Aug-14 09:09:36

I couldn't leave it to fend for itself, the vets is definitely worth a try as it might just have a microchip to trace any owner. They might also know of any rescue centres able to take it. If not then I'd probably end up 'acquiring' it until an owner turned up. :/

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Aug-14 09:17:57

Try the vets, they can scan for a microchip. From what summerain has said in the past Ireland's not big on cat love.

Poor thing, winter will be here soon & there's not much food about in winter.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Aug-14 09:18:22

Has it got a collar? Attach a note. If it has an owner they should know you have been feeding it. Perhaps a vet check if no response from owners in a couple of days.

fourforksache Tue 05-Aug-14 10:12:22

Sorry, I should have said, no collar and hes very thin, with hair missing right down from shoulder blades to tail. Looks young as his balls are quite small, but don't look neutered.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Aug-14 10:16:56

Have you fed him? I'd feed him. The missing furs a bad sign.

fourforksache Tue 05-Aug-14 10:46:04

Yes, fed him meat, milk and water, I'm thinking I should have ignored him but he's so thin.

fourforksache Tue 05-Aug-14 10:47:31

I've called the nearby dspca bur it just goes to answerphone and no one rang me back.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Aug-14 11:10:29

No, don't ignore him. That's how they starve to death.

Thank god you found him.

fackinell Tue 05-Aug-14 11:19:45

I wouldn't give him milk tbh, cats are often lactose intolerant. Just give a little meat scraps or preferably cat food and water. I agree with vet to check the chip. Would you take him home? gringringrin

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Aug-14 13:38:16

If you do choose to keep the cat you will need to make some temporary arrangements for it for the holding time between administration of rabies vaccine and the three weeks before it can travel.
If you are considering keeping it I would have it blood tested for Feline Leukaemia and Feline immunodeficiency virus as scabby strays would be at the top of the list for these viruses.

fackinell Tue 05-Aug-14 18:19:33

Rabies vaccine, coming from Ireland? Really? shock

timtam23 Tue 05-Aug-14 18:30:23

The poor poor boy. I don't think I would be able to leave him but it does get complicated with the cat being in Ireland and you needing to return to the UK - as Lone says, you can't just pop back with him on the plane/ferry. Could you feed him, take him to a vet to see if he is healthy - and then have a think about the next move?

fourforksache Tue 05-Aug-14 18:35:44

I can certainly take him to a vet or a shelter but beyond that, I'm on an extremely tight budget, getting him back to the uk is mot going to happen. :-(

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 05-Aug-14 18:39:09

Is he eating well?.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Aug-14 18:47:15

Ireland is part of the EU and subject to all EU transport of animals legislation including rabies vaccinations and passports for domestic pets travelling between member states.

hoobypickypicky Tue 05-Aug-14 18:52:23

If you were to bring him to the UK you'd need him innoculated against rabies at least 21 days before travelling with him anyway, OP.

I've pm'd you with a suggestion. I hope it helps, please do keep us mad cat lovers informed, thank you.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 06-Aug-14 16:11:32

I was thinking earlier, my cats neutered but still has small Pom-Poms so maybe this is a lost neutered pet hence not being able to fend for himself.

If he was neutered there's a chance he's chipped too. It's usually done at the same time.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 07-Aug-14 21:15:26

Any news? I'm worried he will starve with no intervention sad

fourforksache Sat 09-Aug-14 14:28:42

Hi all, thanks for the messages, we took the cat to a local vet who saisaid

fourforksache Sat 09-Aug-14 14:29:43

They'd take it into the shelter n

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 09-Aug-14 15:26:30

Oh good, some cats don't cope well living rough, especially as most of them aren't taught to hunt by mum so they don't have the life skills.

Well done, it's not easy to find a shelter to take cats in the summer.

fourforksache Thu 14-Aug-14 14:23:28

so sorry about the garbled messages, I was having a lot of trouble using either the app or the mobile site.

Anyway we're home now, thanks for all your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now